Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie egghead

Options
Marcus
Marcus Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
having used gas (Kenmore and Ducane)grills and numerous Webers over the years, I've ensconsed myself as a consumate griller. However, the Egg intrigues me. You folks out there in Eggland please drop me a line so I can convince my wife we need a new cooking station on the deck. I'm basically lazy and want to learn the fine art of slow smoke and cold beer.
Thanks...

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Marcus,[p]Read the WSJ story (this is what sold me on the Egg!. Although I first learned about it in This Old House Magazine)
    [ul][li]WSJ[/ul]
  • Marcus
    Options
    Tony,
    Thanks man. I saw that article somewhere else. At least I don't have tundra to contend with. I want to hear some nightmare stories and how they were overcome.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    babybacks03.jpg
    <p />Marcus,
    Babybacks!!!!!![p]CWM

• Marcus
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    good god man, the ribs boss... the ribs... can I have one?
    pix worth a billion words. how you do that?
    m

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Marcus,[p]I cooked on a Weber for the last 13 years...and baby back ribs always defeated me. Too dry, too tough, you name it. Never got it right. Broke down and bought a large egg about a month ago. Still experimenting, but each of the last few times I've made ribs they've been the best I've ever made. All the stuff you read is true.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Marcus,I too have cooked on a lot of various grills from a cast iron Lodge, a pit in the ground, to various gassers, several charcoal burners,several home built and factory built cookers,but the egg is something different.My daughter bought her husband one and after eating off of it a few times my wife convinced my daughters to get me one for Father's Day so I,m a rookie egger. I'm not a chef but with the help of my wife, a lot of friends, many that I only know by name on the forum, I've turned out a few good products.After the third cooking my wife said to sale the MHP on the back deck. From my little experience I would say along the lines of the cereal commercial,Try It I think You'll Like It.Oh Yeah,slow cooking and cold beer do go together. Have Fun!!!

• Marcus
    Options
    JK,
    It sounds like a great system for burning meat properly but as a K.I.S.S. operative myself, I wonder...
    m

• Unknown
    Options
    After a few cookings to learn the egg the only thing that will keep it from the K.I.S.S.operative will be the new items you will want to cook.

• Marcus
    Options
    poppasam,
    ...so in your learned opinion, should an old grill chef attempt the change over?
    I'm liking slow motion more and more but I also like a quick chimney full of charcoal and a completed burn within 45 minutes: 15 minutes each side (turn,turn,turn) and 15 minutes to rest and zoom... something a 5 lb. pork loin doesn't do well but 2 one pound rib-eyes do with cherry. yum.
    I'm saving my money anyway just in case.
    m

• Unknown
    Options
    Marcus,like I said I'm a rookie with this thing. I start mine in about a min.with a propane weed burner not one of the big fire sticks. Someone called just as I had started the coals,I had left the vents wide open,and when I got back it was setting on 750 degrees in just a few min.I believe that would sear about anything. I have not cooked a beef steak yet. Slow and low with cold beer is more my show but to answer your question ole grill chefs can learn new tricks.I would have been real hesitant to buy an egg with all the toys I have but I'm sure happy my wife, daughters,and son-in-law thought Ineeded one. A Happy Egger!!

• Marcus
    Options
    poppasam,
    I'm leaning in closer and closer. Show me a 2 in. 16 0z. boneless rib-eye steak at medium/medium rare with a fine char and I'll be knee-walking convinced.
    an award winning prime rib roast, slow smoked with cherry is my goal.
    Thanks for your input. Please stay in touch.
    m

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    filet-with-fire.jpg
    <p />Marcus,[p]How about a nice 2" filet? Just did these over the holiday weekend.....
  • QBabe
    Options
    prime-rib-slices.jpg
    <p />Marcus,[p]...this was my first prime rib. Have done 2 since this one and all have been outstanding. The egg is a very reliable and consistent cooker. Get one! You won't regret it....[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe,if those pictures don't sell him,ain't nothing I said gonna do it. Looking Good!!

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Marcus,[p]Well, we're not exactly talking rocket science here...especially at my skill level...so it's pretty simple stuff. In any case, I hope you get what you want.
  • Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Marcus,
    As a self-professed lazy cook, this has got to be one of the easiest grills to work with. I've been using my BGE for nearly 3 years now, and have made sure my timer is always working. I put enough charcoal in (to the top of the fire box) to last 4 short cooks. I light it, set the timer for 10 minutes, and then add food. Then I set the timer for so many minutes (depending on what I'm cooking) and then flip or check the thermometer. With 4 kids aged 12 to 5 at home and a husband who's on call at least 2-3 nights a week, I don't have time to mess around with other options. I'm not one who puts rubs, brines, or marinates on the meat. I'm kind of like the Showtime rotissery where I set the timer and forget it. I'm usually in the house making the other things to go with what's on the BGE or tending some other need around our busy house.
    Invest in the BGE, you won't regret it.
    Julie

• Marcus
    Options
    QBabe,
    I think I have seen one of the most beautiful sights a griller can stand as I stared at the prime rib roast. Please don't close the lid on my head over the filets either. You folks have no mercy. Yum...

• Marcus
    Options
    Julie,
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm pretty convinced now that I must have one of these eggs. It's the convincing the wife that the Weber ain't good enough. Woe is me...

• QBabe
    Options
    Marcus,
    Once she tastes the food, she'll understand....[p]QBabe
    :~)