Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider

johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my birthday is coming up and I'm making a list for peoples.

I was thinking of the spider, but needed to figure out what ya'll use for a grate on it? I have a lbge if that makes a difference.

What's the preference for extending a grate btw? woo2 or grillmates or? I need either a better spatula for burgers or something to bring the grate up.

Thanks!

Comments

• johann
    btw whats the size for a pizza stone for a sbge? 12"? I keep seeing that as for the medium? Would it work as a heat deflector on a small with a woo2?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    We don't put grates in the spider. It is used to hold a barrier between the fire and bottom grate of the adjustable rig or the grate when the WOO ring is used.

When turned upside down it makes a great holder for a Wok.
  • johann
    Oh; For some reason I thought it was used for high temp searing. N/m then!

Where are you finding the 9" bge pizza stone/heat deflector for a small. I can't find any 1/2" pizza 9" pizza stones. Was it a dealer purchase?
  • Celtic Wolf
    If your dealer doesn't carry the pizza stone for a small call the Store in Tucker and order one.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I love the spider for my large and I use it alone or with my adjustable rig.

I use the medium grid and some use the medium cast iron grid on the spider to get food closer to the lump for searing or blackening.

The spider is great for dutch oven use. Spider in normal position for searing the invert for final cooking.

I sue the spider for my drip pan which also doubles for indirect cooking, drip pan on inverted spider.

For me the spider & adjustable rig is one of the top 2 accessories I have purchased for my large. I use the spider and or adjustable rig on 99.9% of my cooks. The other top accessory for me is the Thermoworks Thermapen.

GG
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    A cast iron grate in the Spider on a Large works very well. I use the same 12" BGE CI grate I use in our Small. The Spider for older Large Eggs would accommodate a Medium CI grate but a change to the Egg (in 2008 I think) and a corresponding change to the Spider means that only the Small CI grate fits now.

The 12" BGE pizza stone works fine in the Small Egg. I use it with a set of GrateMates extenders and a 9" stainless pot lid as a heat deflector down on the GrateMates ring.

The 12" pizza stone is too big to use as a heat deflector with the Woo2 in a Small Egg. The Ceramic Grill Store web site shows a 10" stone with that setup.

I have never seen a 9" pizza stone for sale anywhere. BGE use to sell a 9" ceramic bowl that some people used as a heat deflector but I'm pretty sure it was discontinued.
  • Celtic Wolf
    I have a BGE pizza stone for my small, but like I said I bought it from BGE directly..

Many dealers still don't realize there is a platesetter for the small either
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Doug is correct: The older model spider for older LGBE will hold a medium CI grate. There was a picture posted a while back that showed the difference in the length of one joint of the spider in the new and older models. The newer eggs fire ring is different, thus the change in style made. The older model is no longer available. I was fortunate to be able to swap the new style for the older one with another egger. His was the newer egg and the old one wouldn't fit. I was glad to swap with him since it allowed me to use the bigger CI grid (a little more real estate to cook on). When I'm not using the CI to sear with, I just put it on top of the regular grid if I want to cook at the normal height, that way I didn't have to spring for 2 CI grids. The med is big enough for most of my cooks. You can't go wrong with the adjustable rig, spider, and a CI grid. Spread your BD wishlist around and maybe you will score all of these neat tools. And oh yeah, add a Thermopen while your wishing.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    We don't put grates in the spider.

Some of us do. We keep our eggs at lower temps and put C-I grates on the spider. We who do this can still get a great sear, pull the meat off, place a grid on top of our WooII rings, and finish roast without burning. ;)
  • RVH wrote:
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    We don't put grates in the spider.

Some of us do. We keep our eggs at lower temps and put C-I grates on the spider. We who do this can still get a great sear, pull the meat off, place a grid on top of our WooII rings, and finish roast without burning. ;)

Interesting. What temp do you sear at?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When I use the spider in the normal position 400° is usually fine.

More importantly it is a matter of how far the grid is away from the food itself.

When you see the orange lava looking lump that temperature at the lump is very close to 1,900°. 2 inches away from that heat or 12 inches away from the lump makes the difference.

Be careful, if you can hold your hand at cook level for only 1 second the temperature there is 400° to 500° which is hot enough for searing.

GG