Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q

BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone using a Cyber Q II? Got one at the Waldorf eggfest and haven't been able to get it to communicate with my laptop. It recognizes the Cyber Q when I plug it in and installs the driver but the software says "Cyber Q II not found on USB port". Anyone know if there is a specific com port or maybe the com port settings? The Device Manager shows it on COM 14.

--Dave

Comments

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    I have one and installation was real easy but i have not tried to use it on a wireless hub yet.
  • BuffaloChip
    Not using a wireless or wired hub. It's connected directly to a USB port on the laptop. Not sure why my com ports to 2-13 say they are in use. I believe some USB devices look only to about com port 4 or 8.

--Dave
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    i have no idea what that means but mine worked perfect hard wired to my pc!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I've started playing with mine in preperation for a product report on the website. I installed the software on Vista and it works fine plugged into a USB port. Tomorrow I hope to go get a wireless hub and try that. I thought USB was magic and you didn't have to worry about ports, but heck, lots of this stuff is magic, LOL....
    The Naked Whiz
  • BuffaloChip
    I've never had a problem installing any USB equipment on this laptop and I've installed mice, keyboards, number pad, weather station, gps and others.

NOTE: I am absolutely NOT blaming the Cyber Q as I know every computer is different. I'm sure it will connect when I find out what is different on THIS computer. I am going to try it on my desktop just to verify. I did send BBQ Guru tech support an email so will wait to hear from them.

I don't have any machines with Vista. XP pro for me and hope magic will overcome the technical.

--Dave
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Doesn't this USB stuff depend on whether it's a native USB device or if it relies on software to mimic a usb connection (USB to UART ?)
    OK - I admit it I'm out of my depth......back to the day job.
    btw I look forward to the TNW review.
  • BuffaloChip
    Like TNW says. It's all magic.

On this laptop com prots 2-13 all say 'in use'. 14 is the first open one and after installing the Cyber Q dirver it's proprieties show the Cyber Q.

Not sure why all the com ports are in use but just for the heck of it I disabled com 4 and my wireless mouse stopped working. Had to reboot to get it back.

--Dave
  • BuffaloChip
    Got home and had an email from Bob from BBQ Guru saying they had a quick fix. They sent me a file to replace one of the original files, gave exact instructions on how to change the com port number and it worked like a charm. Connected immediately when the program started.

GREAT SUPPORT!!! Thanks, Bob.

--Dave