Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neat Lump Container?

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a neat, weatherproof lump coal container. Right now I keep it in the bag out of the weather, but it would be ever so handy to have it out by the eggies with a scoop. But need something artsy, yet weatherproof. That rules out trash cans (home to many a pound of dog food). Anyone come up with anything artistic?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MollyShark, I couldn't resist a suggestion, then off down the yellow brick road. I purchased a Rubbermaid chest container at Wal-Mart with wheels on one end and a handle on the other The lid fastens down with 4 plastic clips and keeps my stuff under wraps and out of sight. Chips, charcoal, spare grills, starter cubes, pizza stone, ect.
    Comes in different colors...Good luck..happy "Q"
    C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Nothing artistic but, I use the containers for my lump and egg toys as in the picture below. Keeps them neat and dry. I think it is something similar to what C~W described but, without the wheels. Hope it helps give you ideas.

[ul][li]Lump Storage[/ul]
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I'm planning on building a table to house my eggs along with an inner compartment (away from the heat of the eggs of course) that will house the coals. [p]In your case how about a little "doghouse" looking structure that you could make look like an old fashioned smokehouse. You could have a door on the bottom section that would open to roll out the Rubbermaid bin that Char-Woody suggested and maybe the top could flip open or have a door or drawer that would contain other items such as wood chips, utensils, etc.[p]Just a suggestion. I wish I had a photo of an old smokehouse!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Now there are some nice ideas. I'm building a new house and, of course, green egg shelter is an integral part (although my builder hasn't stopped saying "you need a WHAT?"). The slide out rubbermaid idea looks like a winner. Maybe the smokehouse shape for the overall structure. Hey...what's another 10K added onto the house, huh? :-([p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MollyShark, your fun..hang in there! Others will have some great ideas for ya. Cherrio!! C~W[p]
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Let me know if you want to add that mini-smokehouse in your back yard. If you decide I will do it for you for 9K! Now I'm thinking you should just do a sort of gazebo that looks like a smoke house but sort of open and go ahead and build in storage for everything. How about an underground tunnel to the house in case of rain?
  • MollyShark,this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but works for a cheap, dry storage. I have the advantage over some, because of the restaurant. I reuse our 5 gallon pickle buckets for wood chips, wood chunks and different lump charcoals. They are tough and have a rubber seal around the lid that helps keep out moisture. I just label the lid with the contents. They are not very "artsy", but they are GREEN. Call around to some of the restaurants and see if they will give you some empty buckets. Most restaurants will have some spares that they don't mind giving away. [p]Glenn