Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will a BGE get hot enough to sear steaks?

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to purchase a BGE. I want to slow cook, but I also want to grill steaks & burgers. Will a BGE get hot enough to sear steaks? How long will it take for the BGE to get to the appropriate temperture?

Comments

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Mark,[p]I haven't made steaks on my egg yet. However, I made pizza at 700 degrees... I feel certain I could easily get my egg temp up over 800 degrees...[p]Do a search for the "TRex" method for cooking steaks on the egg.[p]HTH,[p]Ryan
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />Mark,[p]How's 1000 degrees F? I've gotten my Medium up that high and I know others have gone even higher.[p]The BGE will produce the best steaks you've ever eaten, I guarantee it.[p]If you do buy a BGE (believe me, it's an investment that will pay you back ten fold), check out the steak method at the link below.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
    [ul][li]If you really like steak, try this . . . [/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark,
    I do tenderloin steaks (filets) at 800, because they aren't fatty and don't make for fatty sooty smoke.[p]Ribeyes I do at 600-650 when I have guests (much less fatty smoke at this temp for some reason), maybe 700 for myself.[p]Others here do steaks routinely at 850, some higher (claims at 1000 degrees). your charbroil gasser will hit MAYBE 600, but it is a flavorless fire, might as well microwave it if yer gonna use gas....[p]In short, I've done lo-and-slo at 190-200 for 20+ hours, and seared at 800 for 2 minutes a side.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mark,
    Any of the ceramic kamados will do a good job of searing steaks. Actually all you really need is about 600-750° anything higher than that is pushing the danger envelope. Flashbacks and burns just opening the lid for starters. (Think about deep fryers and what temps are used there?)[p]Good luck - you will enjoy steaks and anything else you decide to cook out on this type of grill.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_07_0017_52_02.jpg
    <p />Mark, the BGE will beat ANY gassy for steaks!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    filet-with-fire.jpg
    <p />Mark,[p]Judge for yourself.....here were two I did on our small this past weekend.[p]Absolutely the best steaks I've ever done![p]QBabe
    :~)