Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Asparagus

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some asparagus along the country style spareribs for tonight's cook. The ribs are incredibly forgiving. I've had good results all the way from 275º for three hours to 425º for 45 minutes, but I've never cooked asparagus on the Egg. I'll be constrained for time so I'd like to cook them on the same Egg (we have a Large, a Small and a Mini) and I won't have time for a three hour cook. (I'm sure that wouldn't work for the asparagus anyway.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I just drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper them and grill direct to put a little color on them. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i just go direct, over a medium fire. roll them back and forth a couple times.

before hand i like to salt them and hit them with cracked pepper, coat them with a little olive oil

cook til they are beginning to get limp, but they shouldn't fold in half when you pick them up in the middle, like the ribs.

after the ribs come off, just open your vents and go. they are maybe a five minute, seven minute cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how'd you say that in so few words? hahahaa
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    First you need to chop the hard part of the stalks... it's really easy, bend them from the thicker side and they will pop naturally at their weakest break point.

If you want to keep the lively green color it helps to blanche them first (boiling hot water with salt) no more than 1-2 minutes.

After that I set them in an ice bath to stop the cooking and then pat them dry and set them in a tray and drizzle with olive oil, and kosher salt or something better (fleur de sel or the sort) if you have it... Make sure you coat them well in oil and salt.

Cook them direct on the grill (perpendicular to the grill or else they will fall through) with the fire hot enough to give you a 400°F dome temp, until you insert a fork, and the asparragus drops when the fork is lifted. They should be "al dente", not too soft, so check often.

Hope this helps!

cheers!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Doug,

It was nice to meet you and the Mrs. at Waldorf. Have you ordered your mini woo and the pizza stones yet? Let me know if you have any questions.

The way we like our asparagus is: we put the asparagus in HD aluminum foil and drizzle a little EVOO & add a pat of butter then sprinkle DP Shakin' the Tree over the asparagus. I wrap it all together and cook along side of my entree for 30-40 minutes. We like our asparagus soft but flavorful.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    This isn't my idea but someone posted this on the forum a while back. Take 2 bamboo skeweres and thread maybe 5 or 6 asparagus spears and make a raft. It makes it easy to handle them and flip over and a nice presentation. Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice and s&p and grill direct a few mins. on each side.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Kim,

It was nice to meet you at Waldorf too. We had a great time. Tom wants to wait a while to see what you and a couple of others report about the modified Mini Woo before he makes it generally available. I completely understand. All of his products are absolutely first class and he wants to be sure this one measures up.

Regarding the asparagus, I'll see how late it gets to be before I can start cooking and try grilling it if I have to cook the ribs quickly. If I have a bit more time I'll try the foil approach. In either case, I'll try it the other way the next time.

Thanks to all!
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Doug,

Sounds good. I will have to let Tom know his new improved mini woo gets an A+ from me and now my kids... :lol:
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    What AZRP said, plus a little grated parmesano regiano in top never hurts.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    You can also spear 4-5 stalks top and bottom with toothpicks to make rafts.
    Coat with EVOO, S&P or a DP rub of choice, then on direct grill long enough to just blister the outer skin of each side. - Excellent!
    DSC_0001.jpg
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    What everyone else said...we also like to drizzle with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question Doug (and to all the responses), I learned something! I knew it was fairly simple but hadn't seen it explained before.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    We do brocolli the same way as I mentioned on the asparagus.... :silly:
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I'm with you on the balsamic vinegar. It adds a great deal to the flavor of the asparagus. I tend to cook at a higher temperature. My kids fight over the "overdone" ones. A little black doesn't deter from the goodness.