Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a 12lb brisket and I don't want to stay up all night cooking it.

memphis egg
memphis egg Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on how to cook it in a more reasonable amount of time, while maintaining good moist results? I will be kicked out of Memphis if anyone finds out I'm making beef BBQ, but Kroger had it on sale.

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    MemphisEgg,
    send it to me, i will take care of it for you. wouldn't want to see you get in trouble down there over some beef.
    Seth

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    MemphisEgg,
    i've done a few overnight shoulders for pulled pork, and I slept like a baby.[p]if you set the egg for a certain temp, it won't get any hotter unless the air contrives some special other way of getting in.[p]and if you take the ten minutes required to build a good fire, it won't go out either.[p]i bought a transmitting wireless thermometer to monitor dome temp and/or meat temp, and you know what? used it once. BBQ ain't sposeda be hard.[p]If you take a few moments of care, the BGE will do all the overnight worrying for you.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MemphisEgg,
    CWM recently had some pretty good results on a "pushed" foil cook. He can probably fill you in on the details.[p]For a standard lo-slo cook, you shouldn't need to stay up all night. Just get your fire well stabilized before bed (with plenty of lump...into the fire ring area), and wake up every 3 or 4 hours to check. You can still knock a pretty good night of sleep out. Sometimes no adjustment is necessary and you just go right back to bed. Sometimes you need to make a slight adjustment and stay up for a half hour to restabilize. But sleep can definitely be had! I'll usually knock out the first leg of sleep in bed with my wife, then after my first wake-up-check, I return (smelling like a campfire) to the couch.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike,[p]I'm not worried about the lack of sleep. I have a five month old son to take care of that. I'm looking to get it started in the morning and have it ready for dinner that night. Am I being very unrealistic? Do I need to remove the fat cap? Help!

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    MemphisEgg,
    I wouldn't try to start in the morning for a PM meal. Put it on late the night before, go to sleep and check on it 1st thing when you wake up. When it get done, just wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler to keep it warm. If for some reason the fire got too hot while you were sleeping, the meat shouldn't be done that soon ands you have time to cool it down and save it; if it goes out, not likely if you start with a good load of fresh lump, you have time to re-light it and get the meat ready for supper. Some may disagree but don't worry about the meat being in a cold egg. It has had heat on it and will be cooked to an internal of 195 +/-; it will be all right. Concerning your question on the fat cap, some people say you have to trim the fat to an even (1/4") thickness - I don't. Let the fat render through the meat - this is what flavor is all about. Keep it simple - put on your favorite rub; put it on the grill; get a good nights sleep (11-6) and enjoy a great meal!

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    MemphisEgg,[p]Just a idea, maybe someone else could comment, but could you not cut the piece of meat in half. If you follow the rule of thumb, this should cut the time in half. Or would it?[p]Never done a overnight cook.
    RayS

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    MemphisEgg,
    Set BGE temp on 200 wrap brisket in foil cook 8 hours unwrap and BBQ or whatever.
    Works for me. Good Luck!

• Tom,
    I agree with most evrything you said until you told people that you have no idea what their health or that of their families to not worry about a cold pit.
    3 to 4 hours is plenty of time to grow enough bacteria to the job.
    Jim