Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock marinade - am I the only one who does this?

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pretty much every post I've read about spatchcock chickens say to rub the chicken. I usually marinade mine, and use no rub. Does anyone else do this? If you haven't, give it a try. I think you'll like the results.

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    BluesnBBQ,
    Marinade please. I have 2 chix at home for tonight, so I might use your method. Actually, I always do two, and cut one up for chix salad for lunches, so i might go both ways!
    Cheers,
    Seth

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    BluesnBBQ,
    I've brined mine before, as well as brined a spatchcocked turkey on occasion, as well and injected marinade......any way you cut it (as long as it's down the spine) they are awesome!!

• Toe 49,
    Spatchcocked turkey!!! What did you use to open it up.... tin snips ;-)[p]
    Actually how big was the turkey and how long did you cook it?[p]

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Nardi,
    This is the recipe I used (link). I did a 14 pound bird Christmas day followiong this recipe and it took just under 3 hours. The stuffing is very good.....probably the best I've ever had......I just followed the directions as is except I added so hot sausage (6 oz) to the stuffing recipe for a little extra zing.

[ul][li]Butterflied turkey with mushroom stuffing - By Cathy Loup[/ul]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    BluesnBBQ,
    While I normally like to make my own marinades, I find that I really like some store brands of lemon pepper. Lately I've gone almost exclusively to doing game hens instead of chicken. Buy them in two packs for $4.96 so everyone has their own bird. I do them on an elevated grill so they don't get too crispy.[p]LR