Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

ehr
ehr Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a birthday/mom day brisket for family and friends. It is a 15 pounder. Will be doing on a raised and indirect. I need advise on est time. temp. What liquid to use in the drip pan. Type of smoke wood and any another problems I might encounter. I do not have any fire maintenance equipment. Thanks for all you help.
a so. cal egger.

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    The time will vary obviously on what temp you are cooking at. I've only done one and if I remember right it was about 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound. You really don't need liquid in the drip pan. The egg is so efficient it won't dry out the meat. Just remember "if you're lookin, ya aint cookin".

I like applewood for most cooks I do. If you are somewhat of a purist you may want to use mesquite, it's great too.

Get a good meat temp probe, one with a wire that will let you keep the dome closed. Don't pull it until it's 190-195 internal. Also don't wig out when it hits the plateau at around 165 and stays there for hours or even drops a little. Just let the egg keep doing its job. Trust me the results will be worth the effort.

You can use the search forum box up top to find posts by Mollyshark (she's the boss) on brisket if you need more help or someone will kick in some more advice.

Good luck
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    What Firetruck said!!! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    For some additional information check the recipe section here on the forum.

There are a lot of forum members that have sites who have details for brisket. I can't remember them all but you should look at Thirdeye, Wess B, Celtic Wolf, Bubba Tim. Rather than trying to remember, chick the below link out when you get time.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609888&catid=1

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    ehr...I do not, by any means, claim this is the only way to go...I can only tell you, this was the best brisket I have had thus far! (made by Bubba Tim) Trust me...Naked, CW, Thirdeye, GG, etc...all have wonderful recipes, too! This one, we just did two days ago, so thought I would provide you the link. It was AWESOME!
    (But, he did go too heavy on the rub, IMHO!!) :whistle:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=636086&catid=1
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    I have only done one but I had good help from Crimsongator and I took good notes. I started with a 15 lb packer brisket. I trimmed some of the excess fat not all and made sure that the fat side was an even thickness of 1/2 to 3/4 inch all the way across. I did inject with some beef broth and seasoning, your favorite rub would do. I then painted the brisket with a thin coat of mustard and applied the rub. Not to worry You will not taste the mustard. I smoked it at 225-240 degrees with Hickory and Apple chunks until the internal temp was @190 degrees. I then pulled the brisket and wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler for about an hour or so. It turned out great. I would offer this, the flat will probably done well before the point. The next time I do a brisket I will likely cut off the flat when it reaches temp and wrap in foil and let the point continue until done. The flat was a little dry but not terribly. I I soaked it in beef broth and it juiced right up. If you want to save any of the "burnt ends" get them early, you will find out how fast your family will devour that big piece of meat. I will use what little of the burnt ends I have left for some awesome pork and beans. My brisket turned out great. By the way I do not have any fire management gadgets either.....yet. You have plenty of time to look around and ask more seasoned veterans for ideas and help and there is plenty of talent and experience here. Like I said this was my first brisket that I did Easter.

After trimming
    AfterTrimming-1.jpg

Painted and rubbed
    Injectedrubbedandslathered.jpg

Sliced
    sliced.jpg

Almost forgot here is more good info.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Greetings,
    people make brisket out to be a cook with lots of mistique attached but it really isn't that complicated.
    230-250 grid temp hr to hr and a half per pound. simple salt and pepper spice combo for the first few times and whatever smoke wood you prefer, hickory, apple, mesquite, oak, pear or any combo of the above. hit the plateau of 150-165 and wrap in foil with a little beef bouillon till you hit 190-200 depending how "soft" you want it and then pull and let rest for an hour or two before you slice and if it doesn't turn out the way you like try again and take that one and make beans or chili..
    DSC_9758.jpg
    DSC_9764.jpg
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    If brisket was easy, anyone could do it. Brisket is the hardest cook to "consistantly" pull off. Just ask anyone on the BBQ comp curcuit. It is a journey that will last a lifetime. You want to have three things.
    Moisture, Texture, and Taste. If you use foil to cook, you will baste the meat. You will have moisture and taste,but give up texture. If you cook it too hot, too long, or don't prep it right, you will get texture, taste, but be dry. Your journey is to find what works to get all three. There ARE short cuts to get close, but it is not the proper way in my book.

DSC00664.jpg

P1290002.jpg

No foil or broth were used on these. Enjoy the ride!
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Dis ain't rocket science. Salt and pepper that bad boy up. Make sure ya gotta big load of lump in the box, get your fire rolling, throw your favorite chips on, get your dome temp around 275 or so (which gives you 250 grid)and put that brisket on!

You do need a drip pan but no need to put any liquid of any kind in it! Hell, that's why you laid down the cash for the BGE 'cause it keeps meets moist and tasty.

With a full packer brisket I wouldn't be liftin the lid at all for the first 10 hours. Not to say you couldn't sneek a peak thru the top! But after 10 hours it's a good idea to take an internal meat temperature reading. You're shooting for 195 in the end.

Some folks like to take the brisket off, foil and throw it back on when internal meat temp hits 170 or so but if you're not in any kind of hurry t'ain't really no need for that.

Patience is a virtue with briskets. They'll sit in a temperature plateau once the meat gets in the 170s or 180s and then they'll climb rather quickly to the 195.

Again, keep it simple and be patient!

Eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I have my first one up now. I did it the way a local market that sells eggs does it. I ate their brisket before and it was good. I seasoned it with a dry rub that they gave me. You can use any that you like. I did indirect, fat side up for four hours on the grid with assorted wood chunks. After four hours I put it a pan with a little water and foiled the pan. It will cook for 14 more hours. All is being done at 250 degrees. No meat temp probe. I will post pics and see what it tastes like five more hours.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    It was just the flat Tim and it was my first. :laugh: It was actually moist but not as juicy as the point. The only reason I foiled and coolered after I pulled it was it was going to be a few hours before lunch. I wanted it to keep it warm without drying it out. It was a great learning experience and I can't wait to do the next one. I will master the consistancy of the brisket. :laugh:
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Make it as complicated as you want, everyone CAN do brisket and the best way is KISS (keep it simple stupid) don't overthink it just DO IT and practice until you get it where you like it. I was just a part of a large cook last weekend with two of the BIG BOy on the CBBQA Comp circuit. did 200lbs of butt and 6 briskets along with 40 lbs of chx quarters and they foiled the pork and beef to finish so what ever works for you. there is NO ONE way to do any cook on the EGG or other low-n-slow cooker...........
    good luck