Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking whole ham?

Options
bamagirl
bamagirl Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone - new here. Just wondering if anyone had a good recipe for a whole ham? It's not very big (about 7 lbs.) Thanks!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Welcome bamagirl :) Is this ham fresh or precooked?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome to the "CULT". Here is a great way if it is pre-cooked.

Ham, Maple-Bourbon, Egret

100_2127.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    1 10-12 Lbs Cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 tsp coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt

Procedure:
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
    2 locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    3 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
    5 can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    6 Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised
    7 grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on
    8 raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about
    9 5 hours).

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Egret
  • bamagirl
    Options
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Then I agree with Richard,that's great recipe :woohoo: :) That's actually the one I was gonna share/recommend :whistle: Good luck,and enjoy,it's really good stuff :woohoo:
  • bamagirl
    Options
    Thx - Looks Great! I am saving it for my husband. He is all into working a couple of days to prepare a piece of meat. I do more of the quick cooking.
  • bamagirl
    Options
    I have been over ruled. We are cooking the ham tomorrow so it can marinate tonight. If I can figure out how to post pics I will show the finished meal.
    Thanks
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Rather than inject, I just cut some small slits like I was going to place garlic cloves in the meat and just drizzle the marinade over the meat and holes.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You'll love it. I followed John's recipe a few week ago and it came out great.

101_3009.jpg

101_3013.jpg
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Erget's Maple Bourbon Ham. I'll e-mail it to you.
    Absolutely fabulous and very easy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    During the holidays I cook quite a few for ourselves and friends. Other than heating the ham up too much and drying out the ham it is pretty hard to make a mistake.

I like egrets method as above or Alton Brown's method.

I don't get too carried away with the outer seasoning as it doesn't get much into the meat even with the diamond cuts.

I use spiral cut and inject the ham with 6 to 8 oz of pure maple.

These come out with the meat tasting as good or better than Honey Baked Ham.

Keep in mind you are giving a second smoke and reheating so I take the internal temperature to 140° - you don't want to dry out the ham.

Make sure you save the bone and some meat, these things make the most fantastic soup you will ever eat. Split Pea, Navey Bean, Capital Hill, heck they all turn out great.

Both the ham and soup are great egg cooks.

GG
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Dr BBQ beat out Egret in a ham throw down Sat. night. Dr BBQ just rubbed his with pineapple head. Of course if you are like me you do not have pineapple head. Chris sold out Sat. before I could get any. :sick: I have done Egret's recipe it is VERY good ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Next time I order I need to get some pineapple head to give it a try.

I haven't noticed much flavor transfer into hams no matter what is used, hence I inject with pure maple.

In Dec. '07 RichardFl sent this to me, evidently Klos posted this a few weeks prior. It is supposidly a Honey Baked Ham Clone.

1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in, pre-sliced is best
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground clove
    1/8 tsp paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

GG