Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings!

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wings003.bmp
<p />ChefRD's Hot Wings. [p]Cooked at 275 for about an hour and half. Substituted all of the spices in the recipe for about 3 tablespoons of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. The last 20 minutes of the cook, brushed with a mixture of Crystal's hot sauce, butter and Scott's Barbecue Sauce and cranked the heat to 300 or so.
Spicy hot and crispy tempered with a couple PBRs.[p]Sho am some good eatin......... wings is good![p]WD

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Those look AWESOME! Why did you cook them at a low temp? To get a more smoke flavor?
    Freeze some and send some to me![p]ST
    [/b]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    hats off to ya big guy, those wings are awesome, can you
    e-mail me a bucket of 'em ???

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Hey Todd,[p]Nice thing about wings, even though they're white meat, they're wrapped in a nice fatty skin that keeps the meat moist throughout the cook.
    The skin slowly renders to crisp up the flour/cornmeal coating that gives you a fried-like package full of nature's goodness..... aint no reason to rush it.[p]Just so happens I used a small chunk of the cherry wood you gave me in Waldorf........ so if you want the last few you'll have to make the 2 hour trek South....... they just don't freeze very well.[p]Heeeeeeee![p]John

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey, Nature Boy, evidently Woodoggies is adept at using tongs. :-)[p]Those look great, John![p]Lee[p]

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Thanks Lee!
    No tongs this time on the wings. Instead I used the Nature Boy "finger flip" technique. You gotta be quick, tho, 'cause those babies are hot![p]John[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Looks like you've just about mastered this cook. I think you've earned your "wings".[p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Lee!
    I think John definitely has me beat in the coordination department! I still blame the humidity for those wings in Philly losing a coupe chunks of the coating!
    hee!
    Chris[p]BTW, nice job there WD. I'd say you have it down now!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]That's beautiful, man![p]I did some wings yesterday, too. Not nearly as purty, and likely not nearly as good. I used Emeril's Southwestern Essence and grilled direct. Topped these off with some Frank's Red Hot Buffalo wing sauce.[p]This has been my standard lazy man wing technique as of late. I'm going to try the lower and slower indirect followed by the hotter and faster direct finish next time I do wings, which will likely be this Friday. Also, I really need to replenish my Swamp Venom supply. I've become addicted over the past two months, and now I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms!!![p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Looks great, did you cook them direct?????[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    chefrds.JPG
    <p />WooDoggies,[p]Damn, and I thought my ChefRD's looked good.[p]Are those some good flappers or what?[p]Nice pic John![p]Mick

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Hey Bob![p]Yeah, they were cooked direct on the main grid raised about 4" off the fire ring.[p]I lit just enough lump to cover the holes in the firebox..... so the wings were a fairly good distance from the heat..... I'm lazy and can't remember to check every 10-15 minutes like ChefRD suggests and it helps to keep them from browning too quickly.[p]Give them a try..... they really are good!
    John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Thanks, but that's a negatory on the delivery..... will the recipe do? :~)[p]Give em a try..... maybe you can pack them in like your ribs![p]John[p]
    [ul][li]ChefRd's Hot Wings[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Dave, everyone knows you are the chicken wing kid, so I appreciate it! :~) [p]I'm lazy too and these are really easy....... letting them set up in the fridge for a 1/2 hour before putting them in the preheated egg makes all the difference.
    Oh yeah, those cooked direct.[p]I used the last of my Swamp Venom on those wings so I'm jonseing too.[p]Labatt's Blue!
    John[p]