Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My salmon gets mangled

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 117
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been doing salmon filets (skin on). I brush with EVOO salt/pepper, etc and grill flesh down, flip and grill the skin side. Always tastes good, but I continue to mangle the salmon a bit trying to flip it (sticks to the grid).

What am I doing wrong here? I would like to have a little better presentation. Maybe I should grill a little longer so it releases from the grid?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    Grid must be very clean, hot, and well oiled just before putting on the fish. When you turn it, put it on a fresh area of the grid, also oiled just before turning. Cook most of the way on the presentation side (as you note, it will have a better chance of releasing.) Try not to have it too cold when it goes on.

With S&P & evoo, you won't have this problem, but rubs with sugar (like Raging River, one of my favorites) exacerbate the sticking.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    two things to try. .

1. make sure your grid is nice and clean and hot and then take a paper towel and wipe some oil on it before putting the fish on . ..

2. what i like to do is take two or three lemons, slice them thin. . .. lay the lemon slices all over the grid and then put the fish on top of the lemon slices. . . .you won't get pretty grill marks on your fish, but you will end up with very nice moist fish that is perfectly done and it won't break up or get stuck to the grid. ...leave the lemon slice to stick and burn on the grid and just scrape em off later .. . .
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    1) Make sure your grid is clean.
    2) Once it is hot and just before putting you salmon flesh side down, take tongs with a wadded up, EVOO or oil-soaked paper towel and swab the grill thoroughly right where you will put the fish. This will almost always prevent sticking.
    3) Only leave it flesh down long enough to get a sear, then turn it skin down until the whitish fat oozes up on the surface.
    4) Pull it off the off the grill - onto a plate and cover with foil.

ENJOY !

We do this at least once a week.

BTW - try it with a liberal dosing of Shaking the Tree or Raging River rubs from Dizzy Pig - they are da bomb! :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Try starting with the skin down first. That should let the meat heat up a bit and may not stick so bad.

I typically don't flip, with the exception to one recipe. With that one i take the skin off and it is in a marinade so it goes on pretty wet and never sticks. (knockin on wood) Planking them is fun, but my favorite is smoking it. The Egg does such a nice job smoking.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I like that one max. Gonna give that a go for sure.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to oil the grid. That should take care of it. I do clean the grid off, but haven't been oiling it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    skin down don't flip....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chris,

I do fish quite often on oiled parchment. Everybody else is right about oiling the grid and skin down.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That's how I do it too. -RP