Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with fire starting

Options
Husker95
Husker95 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello. I'm a newbie and need a little advice on best practices for starting a fire in my large BGE. I am usually cooking direct (burgers, chicken, brats). When i get ready to start, i open both the top and bottom drafts wide open, clean out the ash and use the ash tool to stir the charcoal to try to get as much ash as possible to fall through to the bottom. I then bury the electric starter under a couple inches of charcoal in the center of the egg. It starts ok and i remove it after about 10 minutes. But then it often takes up to 30 minutes for the egg to come to 350 or higher. It seems to hang out at 200 degrees forever. Any suggestions you vets can give me are much appreciated. Thanks.

Husker

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I do it the same way. no problems

MAKE SURE

After you remove the starter let it sit OPEN lid
    and open bottom draft for another 5-10 minutes.

You can then close and you should be roaring and
    on the way to 450-500 in no time. also make sure
    that your ports in the ceramic fire bowl arent pluged with lil lump or ash.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    30 minutes for 350° sounds perfectly normal...just keep on doing what you're doing...If your in a big hurry some type of fanning device will speed things up.
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    I've been using less charcoal in the egg to start with and starting in a weber chimney starter. That seems to get up to 300/400(unless i put platesetter in) In a shorter time.

Of course if i want to do something longer I add charcoal on top after I dump in the chimney starter and that takes a bit longer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i made a bigger grate with more holes. speeds things up alot. what alot of people do is raise their lump grate up a quarter inch on some bolts. that extra space gives alot better air flow. weedburner from harbor freight and a propane bottle from a gasser lights an egg faster than anything. with clean lump, lower vent open, dome closed, top vent off sitting on the table. the weedburner lights an even area in the egg, no need to let the fire spread out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I use the electric starter also. Once the coals are burning, I stir the hot coals around to get an even fire, then close the dome. I have the bottom vent (and screen) all the way open and the Daisy wheel OFF the top. That creates a draft that will get it really hot fast - sometimes too fast if you get distracted. :ohmy:

Also make sure all the ash is cleaned out below the grate - it will insulate things and not let you get as hot.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations on your egg and welcome to the forum.

When you stir your old lump make sure the holes in the fire grate and in the fire box are not blocked by smaller pieces of lump.

Heat = air plus fuel. The speed of the lighting has more to do with air flow.

The egg needs it's natural draft developed and once that natural draft is well established and you have enough lump in the egg is a great performer.

Some basic assumptions other than you have stated above - when you light you have the air holes clean, lump level is close to the top of the fire box, lump is not moist/wet.

The electric starter is the only method I have not used to get an egg lit so I am not sure what to expect as to performance. I would expect the speed of lighting with an electric starter would depend on how long that starter is held in the lump.

If you experience a temperature stall there needs to be a better air flow into the lump. A wiggle stick used through the lower vent to clean out the air holes in the fire grate and also to up into the lower lump. A gentle wiggle of the rod will help make some air paths up through the lump. This stall can happen with most any starting method.

Sometimes a small personal hand held fan will help.
    It seems better to fan the lump from an open dome rather than to try and get the air into the lower vent. Too big a fan will cause the light ash to blow around.

If you want to try a different method to light use the oil/paper towel method, many members use a MAPP
    Torch. The oil/paper towel will light as fast as MAPP.

GG
  • crabby
    crabby Posts: 19
    Options
    A wiggle stick gets the air flowing and temps rising.
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I used a electric starter until it burned out. I read here about using Alcohol. I work where I can get 99%, and it lights well, just watch how much you put on, or it'll get ya!!
    The advice about taking off the DW really helped my lights. It's amazing even with the Dw on, it does make a difference when it is off.

Keep trying, and you will be glad you are eggin in a short time.
    Bob
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I have a large and electric starter also. I never bury the coil down inside. Fill her up and place the electric started on top. Now place a handful of charcoal on top. Start her up for 6 mins and remove. Leave top open for another 4-5 minutes and then close. Leave the bottom wide open and the top off and you have your fire in no time. I have found that burying the coil like you do does not work.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Get the looftlighter. I love it, especially if you want quick high temps. For low and slow it doesn't really matter how you light it.