Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should I bring to Austin?

PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Appart from the pots and pans and utensils I'm gonna need for my experiments, and of course, adecuate clothing, tequila, sunblock, sunglasses, the ingredients themselves, latex gloves, antibacterial wipes, cutting boards, knives, disposables, what else should I bring?

Are the tables provided? chairs? etc?

thanks for your input!

cheers!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    If you are like most Eggheads you want to bring everything including the kitchen sink but it isn't always necessary to go overboard.

We're fortunate at the Texas Eggfest because we will be on a deck at a very nice restaurant/bar high on a bluff overlooking Lake Travis. There will be chairs and tables for eating and relaxing. Also, there should be plenty of shade, although it will be rather warm even in the shade.

If you plan to cook you should bring the tools and ingredients to make it happen. Any frozen or chilled food items should be kept frozen and well chilled up until you plan to cook them.

If you forget something you can probably borrow from your Egghead friends who have the luxury of bringing everything from their cooking centers.

There is a large H.E.B. supermarket just up the road if you need to purchase your food items at the last minute.

Sounds like you listed pretty much everything you might need.

However, you might want to nix the Tequila because we are guests at a restaurant/bar that makes its living from the sale of beverages. That being said, last year there was a bar set up nearby where we could get cold beer and mixed drinks at a reasonable price. And there was a young lady making the rounds taking orders for refills should you not want to leave your Egg. I for one found it very convenient and I didn't have to worry about it.

If you just plan to visit, make new friends, ask questions and taste the food, all you will need is a smile and an appetite.

If you haven't seen it yet here's a brief video of what it was like last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFaBQnZxnY8

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Spring "No Room Left After Loading The Kitchen Sink" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • PWise
    Thanks a lot for the info... all is set and done then! I was worried I needed to take tarp, table, chairs, etc, etc... No tequila for the fest... maybe for the afterparty though? And I guess coolers are ok? (how else would I keep all the food items at temp?) hehe :whistle:

Cheers!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Leroy, after looking at the pictures I'm really sad I won't be able to be there. What a beautiful location for an eggfest. Next year it will be on calendar. Have a great time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You will enjoy it. Although there are no 'unforgetable' after-parties or lively Chef Wars.

In fact, there were only about seven or eight people cooking last year among probably 100 visitors. This year there will be more cooks but also more people.

But the location is great. And we have a good time.

See y'all there next year.

Spring "High In The Valley" Chicken
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    You still have time to jump on a plane....come on!!!!

Judy
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Two things I recommend to everyone for every eggfest.

1. A healthy appetite
    2. A spare liver
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Yeah, I'll miss you Frank.:( I've seen you at 2 already this year....Ocala & OKC. Ocala was your first so you're hooked like I am on these fests. I hope you can make it to Atlanta. Do you have any others you're planning on attending?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Do you cook on the grid that comes with the egg or bring one?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I guess I need to start looking for a compatible donor for my first Eggfest :woohoo:

We were talking about living liver donors the other day in class and I thought this was interesting.

The donor's liver is resected (usually removal of one lobe) and implanted into the recipient after removal of the diseased liver. In both the donor and the recipient, the liver regenerates and grows in size to meet the demands of the body.

After Party on eggheads :woohoo:
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Hey, Leroy & Judy -

Pato & Cinthia have accepted our invitation to stay at our home. We are eager to meet them and make new friends. We will have an opportunity to shop if I can't supply anything he may have forgotten.

We all are planning to see you at the Meet & Greet. It will be approximately 6:00, right?

I will feel like a real amateur cook next to Pato and you, but we look forward to it very much.

Regards,
    Colin & Joni
  • PWise
    Hey Colin:

Again, we truly appreciate your hospitality and also look forward to meeting you and your family.

I will be shoping for pretty much everything over there. I don't want to have any trouble at all when crossing the border...

Will call you Thursday afternoon to let you know of travel status!

Cheers!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I think you need to give Beli a call to see if he's going to Austin this year. See you out there, Pato!