Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help - want to impress my wife

eggaggie
eggaggie Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
B) could have phrased that better ;)

had 5 successful cooks on my new large BGE....

would like to show her that i can do a entire meal on the egg.....like

- NY strips - 1 inch or so
- Baked Potatoes
- Asparagus

i know it will be an exersise in placement and temp control....can someone give me a clue?

Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sure.

Bake your potatoes at 400 for an hour or so until done. Wrap in foil and rest - they'll hold the heat.

Bump the egg to 600 or more to sear the steaks.

Then lower the heat to 400* and roast the steaks to the preferred level of doneness.

Pull them to rest for the 10 minutes or so it will take to do the asparagus. If you are concerned about the taters then put them back on during this last bit to reheat them.

Do your prep work as time allows - i.e. making little rafts of the asparagus spears, etc. - and you'll find it really isn't that difficult to do a multi-stage cook.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Good plan by Rod.

Suggestion - get your steaks 1.5-2 inches thick if you want to make a real impression. We just cook on 2" ribeye and divide it between the two of us. More than enough - usually have leftovers. The thick steak is easier to not overcook and since we both eat it the same doneness :) , it works out pretty good. :woohoo:
  • Eublet
    Eublet Posts: 54
    Yep. We did this the last go around. 2 inch thick rib-eye. Trex-ed it and it was great. Fed me, my wife, and our 6 year old son. The thicker steaks will be even more juicy, and if you like medium or med rare steaks AND a good sear, then they really work better if they're at least 1.5 inches or more. If you want them medium well or better, then 1" steaks are probably best.
  • Def. do the taters first. Cook them at 400 till they reach 210 degrees. I do not wrap in foil. They hold the heat well. I agree eith the others on the steak. When the steak is resting cook the asparagus. I like mine in butter and pesto.
  • eggaggie
    great feed back...i was not sure on how to trex the steaks....

any other ideas on things you have prepared that have impressed your spouses? In this context?

I am trying to make sure she thinks the egg was worth it!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when roasting the steaks at 400, you can toss the asparagus on too. but i usually rest the steaks...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eggaggie
    Fidel wrote:
    Sure.

Bake your potatoes at 400 for an hour or so until done. Wrap in foil and rest - they'll hold the heat.

Bump the egg to 600 or more to sear the steaks.

Then lower the heat to 400* and roast the steaks to the preferred level of doneness.

Pull them to rest for the 10 minutes or so it will take to do the asparagus. If you are concerned about the taters then put them back on during this last bit to reheat them.

Do your prep work as time allows - i.e. making little rafts of the asparagus spears, etc. - and you'll find it really isn't that difficult to do a multi-stage cook.

oh and on the sear, do i do 2 mins/side?

and then if we like medium to medium rare, about 5 mins per side after the temp bump down?
  • Fidel
    time totally depends on the thickness and, to a lesser extent, the cut of meat.

Your ideas are in the ballpark.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    ...Appart from the meal.....get some nice Tiki fire torches...a big flower arrangement & her favourite perfume......oh....& wash the dishes afterwards.......never fails... :woohoo:
  • eggaggie
    how easy is roasted corn?

thanks!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Beli said it all.. You want to truly impress your wife - CLEAN UP AFTERWARDS

Steaks and potatoes will make her smile, but a clean kitchen will lock in the deal..

Candle Light helps too..
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Beli,

Do you impress like that everyday? ;) I am good at dishes too.

When do you go back to work?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Misippi Egger
    Here's the link for TRex'ing a steak.

I purchased a spider from the Ceramic Grill store and it make TRexing "da bomb".

www.ceramicgrillstore.com

Bon appetit!
  • Misippi Egger
    Someone posted on here a while back the following that seems to work (at least it does for me):
    Sear for 30 seconds per side, per 1/2 inch of thickness (ribeye). ie a 2" ribeye gets 2 minutes per side sear, a 20 min. rest, then finish at 400* roast until 125* internal (for med-rare).
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Steaks should be 1.5" plus! Enjoy!! 8 - O,,,,
  • eggaggie
    Can Yall help me understand internal temps....

I see here a target of 125 for med rare, and if i look in some of the cook charts med rare for beef is 145.

I am having a problem of overcooking.....so i bought a thermapen to help.

but what temps should i be shootin for?

thanks!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: going back to work tomorrow.. :(
  • Fidel
    My advice is to practice with cheaper cuts of meat (i.e. choice grade sirloin vs. prime strips). Eventually you will know at what temperature you prefer your steak - more specific than "medium rare".

If you like a true medium rare steak - cool pink inside - then I would suggest pulling the steak at 125. As it rests it will rise another 5* or so - more if it is a thicker cut. Adjust up or down from there on your next steak.

I know my wife likes filet cooked to 130* while I like ribeye cooked to 118*.

If i have guests that want a ribeye cooked medium rare then I pull it at 125-127. You can always put it back on if they desire, but you can't "uncook" it any.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    this chart is pretty good for an average sized steak 1 inch or less, if its a good size 1.5 inch or even a little thicker remove at 5 degrees less than stated. take notes as i like a strip steak rarer than a ribeye. you can really zero in on your preferences with a thermapen
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if his steaks are 3/4" of an inch thick, 2 minutes a side would probably be more than enough
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Misippi Egger
    Eggaggie,

I have been pulling my ribeyes at 125*, putting on a plate and sealing it in foil. Bring it indoors and let it sit (letting it rest is a must) while we prepare the side servings, etc. I guess 5-8 minutes. I wondered what the temp was doing, so a couple of times, I left the probe in, attached to the monitor. It usually climbs to about 135-137* under the foil. I then cut it in two portions (not exactly half ;) ) and serve.
    DSC_0009.jpg

The charts are a good guide, but I find they produce overcooked meat. You have to figure out what works for you.