Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Update -- I am getting a handle on them!

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am continuing to work on my pizza technique and I like the results. I have been using my recipe for the dough, with Jeff Varasano’s technique for being sure that you get the excellent kneading.

Simply put, you add 75% of the flour to the mixer, along with all the rest of the ingredients and just mix well, for 1-2 minutes, to let them come together well. Let the very wet dough (more like thick batter), rest for 20 minutes (**), start kneading the dough (I use the paddle on my my kitchenaid) and let it run for 5 minutes before adding any more flour. Switch to a dough hook and add the rest of the flour and let it mix/knead for about five more minutes.

(**) The resting period allows the high moisture to react with the gluten in the flour in a process called Autolyse. This is the same process as used in the no knead bread recipe, but you are resting for a shorter period and then doing some mechanical kneading.

I pulled my temp down from 700 to 600 and really did not like the results as well. The pies were nice, but it took longer to cook and I ended up checking 2-3 times. I thing I will split the difference on the next cook.

I have been using a blend of mozzarella, sharp provolone, and munster with great results. I like grating my own cheese, because the grated cheese had something added that inhibits clumping and I think the fresh cheese melts and spreads better.

So, here are the results.

03-05-09SecondPie.jpg

03-05-09SecondPie-Crust.jpg

03-05-09FirstPie.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Looks like you are getting great results.

I agree that allowing time for the autolyse is important and gives a great result.

I took the kids out for pizza to a new place this past weekend and got a few tips regarding letting the dough ball do the final rise (2-3 hours) while covered in olive oil. The crust was very crisp on the outside and had a distinct taste. I plan to play with it this week and post some results if I can nail it.
  • Red Dog
    Red Dog Posts: 21
    Options
    Great looking pizzas! I had a group in a couple weeks ago and cooked 7 pies. One rolled, one put on the ingredients, and I ran the BGE. Somewhere around 650 and they were ready in 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Mine were not as pretty as yours (some singed edges) but the result was very good.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I preach the Autolyse method and have for years!. It is one of the most important parts of getting consistent pizza dough.

I use munster all the time and people always ask me about it. I think munster gives the cheese a slight nutty taste with a creamy texture.

You have now entered the dark side of pizza making. There are two types of pizza makers...the one's who will get a recipe they like and use it forever and the one's who will play with their recipe forever trying to get the perfect pizza.

I make several different styles of pizza. From an Americana style that uses a sauce with a lot of spices and a nice medium crust dough to a Sicilian style pizza
    that uses a 90% hydration dough that is square and is poured into a pan.

Now you know you have it bad when you have dozens of strains of yeast and most are active.....!!
  • icemncmth
    Options
    Red Dog wrote:
    Great looking pizzas! I had a group in a couple weeks ago and cooked 7 pies. One rolled, one put on the ingredients, and I ran the BGE. Somewhere around 650 and they were ready in 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Mine were not as pretty as yours (some singed edges) but the result was very good.

A few black spots are a true sign of a good pizza!!..

If you look a the Neapolitan styles they all have burnt edges..
  • gladis
    gladis Posts: 25
    Options
    Wow that pizza looks yummy, I cant wait to try making it on my egg. Great job!
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I thought my 68percent was high. Anybody else doing super high hydration.
    TTFN WLL
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I make mine with 65% hydration.

Ice, I just checked my noted and I am using munster, based on your recommendation.

Try the aged provolone -- it has a great flavor too!
  • icemncmth
    Options
    BobS wrote:
    I make mine with 65% hydration.

Ice, I just checked my noted and I am using munster, based on your recommendation.

Try the aged provolone -- it has a great flavor too!

Will do on the Aged Provoline!!...

I use 65% hydration most of the time..If it is very damp outside I will drop it down to 62%..

If I want a crust that is thicker and will "hold" the toppings I will drop that down to 60% and add more oil.

One trick I do is I have a marble slab...and I flour it and I use it to stretch the dough. The cold marble keeps my hands from heating up the dough. It is kind of fun because I let part of the dough hand off the marble and let gravity do its thing. All I have to do is rotate the dough and it will grow and grow. If I am outside I will work it with my hands. The wife doesn't want flour all over the place. I am building a outdoor kitchen so that I can not have to worry about making the wife mad!!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    That pizza looks great! I have been reading Varasano's autolyse technique also and plan to give it a try this week.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    would like to see your sicilian tray style pizza, i like trying all pizza styles. the one i cant seem to nail is cheap bakery pizza. we have two styles here, one like a sweet bisquit yet not fall apart and the other has a certian amount of cornmeal. the corn meal just has hard grated parmisian and romano, the other just a piece of provo. both served with a sweet sauce. wish i could nail the one with just hard parmasian, they served it in strips not sqaures stacked in a donut box when i was growing up. you could only eat about 4 to 5 strips before the coarsness tore your gums apart.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it