Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tequila Lime chicken

Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I cooked the tequila lime chicken that I cooked at OKC. My family loves that and roasted garlic mashed taters. First we baked a loaf of bread on the large, then removed the pizza stone and cooked the chicken.

I marinated the chicken thies in the tequila lime marinade over night. This afternoon I wrapped the pieces in bacon, coated them with shakin the tree and put them on indirect with a few apple chunks at 425 until they were 195.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    YUM! I'll try that! Thanks for the post.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Good grief that looks good!!!
  • Hi Firetruck,
    Dang that looks good...howcum you didn't pass any over my way at OKC????
    Looks like Dollie is enjoying the bucket bread :woohoo: Poolboy Ku still churning it out, too! Loves his little girl MBGE :kiss: Pizzas are getting a workout, too. Dollie will have to get up to speed quickly :evil: Shoot, those teenagers may even show an interest :whistle: in cookin! Keep in touch, DOW
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    SWEET! :) I may send you an e-mail beggin for recepies! :ohmy:
  • Firetruck
    Kerri, sorry you didn't get to try any but each time I pulled them off the egg, they were gone. They literally didn't last 1 minute per batch. Heck I didn't even get to try one to see if they were any good.

That bread is awsome. We just started cooking it yesterday and today we did sticky buns too. :P yummy. Thanks for the heads up on the book.
  • Firetruck
    Hoss, I'll be glad to share it with ya.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Hey Jodie,

Those were great in OKC. I am also doing Chicken wings I did in OK tonight. Only reason I got some of yours was cause we shared the same cookin table....lol...good job.
  • Firetruck
    Thanks Jerry, those wings were great, I'm glad I got to try one.

Tell Teresa that Dollie and I said howdie.
  • Please share the recipe B)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Those look great I got to try the garlic taters. :)
  • Firetruck
    If you have a Kroger in your area that's where I bought the marinade, of course I added an extra shot of tequila :evil:

I bought regular chicken thies, deboned, deskinned, and cut the fat off of them, then cut each one into 3 pieces. I put them with the kicked up marinade into a ziplock bag and into the fridge overnight.

While waiting for the egg to get ready, I wrapped each piece in about 1/3 to 1/2 a piece of hickory smoked bacon (not thick) and sprinkled all with DP shakin the tree. I put them on the egg indirect raised grid with a few apple chunks @ 425 until they were 190-200 deg.

After pulling them off, I squeezed fresh lime juice over all the pieces and they were ready to serve.

The marinade is Kroger brand. If you don't have one in your area, I'll bet you could still get the marinade.

Enjoy
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    JoJo,

Great post.

Question: I wouldn't think the marinade sold by Kroger actually has Tequila in it does it? Down here in Mississippi, they aren't allowed to sell anything stronger than beer in the grocery stores and convenience stores.

I'm gonna give it try - this goes into my "gotta do it" file!
  • Firetruck
    Actually the ingredients do include tequila. I just don't know how much. I added some for good measure though.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I know what you mean . . . it was a dang "feeding frenzy" most of the early hours.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    And how did that work? 1 shot for the cook, then 1 shot for the marinade, 1 shot for the cook . . . :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Firetruck
    yeah something like that :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Firetruck, those are awesome! That's a perfect sounding combination. Thanks for posting recipe.

Gator
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Very nice job! Haven't done bread in almost a year on mine and time to fix that!