Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOMEX & Eggfest

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure if it's been reported here before but the nomex material for the new "high temperature" gaskets SHRINKS when it gets hot the first time. I noticed this on my trusty, krusty Large Egg a little while ago.... it was fitted perfectly (see the video) and after the first few cooks ..there was a 3/8" gap between the 2 ends of the gasket. I called a nomex manufacturer who concurred, nomex shrinks. He recommended putting any new nomex in the dryer before installing it to "pre-shrink" it. So, since we FINALLY GOT our huge load of nomex and filled all the backorders, I have finally been able to "sacrifice" a piece to check it out. I took a 6 ft piece and stuck it in the dryer for 15 minutes and lo and behold ..it shrunk approximately 1/2 inch!
So may I suggest that after receiving a new nomex gasket kit, toss it in the dryer (without the can of spray glue) before installing and the Egg gods shall be happy.

ALSO , REMEMBER THE MidEggLantic Blues & BBQ Fest in 2 weeks in Shillington, Pa. ...we have plenty of people cooking but still have room for more!

FB/SGP
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that is really good to know thanks fred!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for both tips, the shrink tip should save some cussing.

Glue in dryer, probably a good idea.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Fred!! We are going to need to do something with a couple of ours soon and that will eb a good tip to remember!! sure wish we could make the fest :) LOL Julie
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thank You Fred.
    Good to know now, AFTER so many people already have it installed without doing the dryer trick :angry:
    Just went out and checked mine . . . yepper, about the thickness of a dime has shrunk back.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I did learn the same thing when I installed the Nomex on my large. I had intended to cut the new gasket about that 3/8 inch longer to compensate for the shrinkage on my XL and then will the gap. This is good to know Fred. I am installing the new Nomex on the XL today or tomorrow and I will try the dryer trick. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Thanks Fred. You probably just saved me from using up a bunch of my 4-letter words that I have been saving up. Plan to install nomex on my large later in the week. See you in 2 weeks.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Fred,

Can't wait to meet you one day. You are a hero on the forum. I've watched your videos and will be stopping by your shop when in PA!
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Fred,

Can't wait to meet you one day. You are a hero on the forum. I've watched your videos and will be stopping by your shop when in PA!
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    Fred,

Thanks for the tip! When I installed my Nomex on my Medium BGE I tried to not stretch it as I went around the rim, actually kind of bunched it in some spots and then closed the lid over night with wax paper between the top and bottom in the hopes it would not shrink. I still ended up with a slight gap on the bottom, but the top seems to be holding it's own. If it gets too bad, I'll cut a sliver and glue it in the gap!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I installed the Nomex on my XL the other day but not before tossing it into the dryer. I used the high heat setting for about 20 minutes. It shrank 1.5 inches. I left a slight over lap on the gasket to allow for any more shrinkage just in case. It will be interesting to see if it shrinks any more. Thanks for the tip Fred. :)