Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help for Pulled Pork

Options
Savilac
Savilac Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just did my first pulled pork. Half of it came out perfect, they other half came out a little on the dry side. It was 7.5 lbs. I have a couple questions:

What temp should I take the shoulder off the egg before wrapping in foil?
Has anyone brined a shoulder before doing egging?

Any tips to avoid dryness would be appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i usually pull mine off the egg between 195 and 200 wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for a couple hours!!

i have brined one before and i did not see the big diffrence!!

was yours bone in?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    You should pull it between 190 and 200. wrap it rest it. I have never done the brine. I didn't see the need.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I just did my first pulled pork and it was moist no dryness, I pulled it off at 195 and double wrapped it in alumin foil and wrapped it in a beach towel and put in a cooler for a couple hrs, it was perfect, if you look at my pics I just posted you will see. I rubbed my pork butt with a light coat of mustard then the rub.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Interesting, wonder why part was dry.

The above pull temperatures always work well for me also.

On the dry part, get it in a pan and add about 6 to 10 oz of coke (not diet). Heat it up and let it cook out until the moisture is where you want it.

You won't taste the coke and it will again be moist.

GG
  • Savilac
    Savilac Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks for the help. It was not bone in. That will be my next one. I got the big pack from costco.

I also only left it wrapped for 45 min. So next time I will let it sit longer.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have only cooked one boneless butt and it was a little dry.. like grabdpas grub said add a little coke to the dry part.. and yes coke classic and nothing else.. at least nothing else i can reccomend

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I have no idea why it turned out dry. I take the two 7 to 8 lb pieces and tie them together as one. I cook at about 225 for 20 to 22 hours or until the internal temp reaches 195-200. I pull out of the egg, cut the strings and immediately pull the pork with two forks. It has always turned out great. My guests sit and watch and I hand them pieces like feeding baby birds.