Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

strangest thing tonight...

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
invited a bunch of people over, family and friends, to celebrate my son's ninth birthday. served them grilled chix breast, tenderloin "burgers" (slices of beef tenderloin between grilled buns), the best beer, wine, etc that we could offer.....

and as they sit upstairs even now (the last two couples who aren't even hinting at leaving), they are making fun of the "undercooked chicken" (it wasn't 205 in the breast like they prefer it), the "bad" beer (it was sam adams, harpoon IPA: and i eventually went and bought them heinekin and f*i**ing BUD), and they are mocking the food my wife is serving them (now, at an hour past midnight she's scraping food together), i have to wonder: have any of you ever behaved like this?

after i ran off and bought him "only" six budweisers (this was at 9pm, following a 1 to 4 kids birthday party), i had a guy b*t*h to me tonight the beer sucked, and there wasn't enough. i reminded him that the six "sh!tty" sam adams that he choked down, plus the six buds that i hurried off to get for him were twelve more beers than he's ever served me in HIS house.

have you ever had guests that have made fun of your cooking (besides AZRP making fun of my paella, by proxy)? i've never been so insulted in my life.

if you served me cr*p on a shingle at your house, i'd be grateful. please, don't ever treat your hosts like i was treated tonight.

i am astounded. if any of you wonder why i don't mind being a loner and a pr!ck, it's because of nights like this. i don't need one friend in the go**amned world. i don't i don't need one damn friend. might be nice to HAVE one though. hahahaha

even the BGE couldn't save the evening.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Geez!!

Sounds like you guys need new friends!!

If they're not just working/kidding you...I'd of politely showed them the door!!

12 beers..and then bitches?? He's for damm sure
    overstayed his welcome!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    I probably would not be as nice as you have been. After all that they are still there? I agree with you even if the food sucked I would be gracious and polite. I would have brought my own brew and some extra for the saps that didn't bring anything. Some people just can't be pleased. Sorry you had a bad night. The worst thing about those kind of people is that they can re-produce. :ohmy:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Stike....I am SO sorry! :( What can I say, other than, sometimes, SOME people just $UCK! :angry: Get them out of your house in the most diplomatic way you can, and never invite them back.
    Undercooked chicken? NO! It just wasn't a dried out brick like they are used to....
    Who do they think they are to B!TCH about food they are served as a guest???
    Just say good riddens when the car drives away...never to return to your home. :angry:
    I am truly sorry. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior, or treatment. :(
    Tomorrow will be a better day! :S
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Guys are so much better with advice to guys!! ;) Your responses are so much more concise, and make so much more 'man' sense....lol!! Bottom line....guest has way overstayed the welcome....forever. ;)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Sounds like they forgot that they were the guest. L/C is right, there is no excuse for someone to treat you that way in your own home.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Sounds like "chocking down beers" was the wrong thing being chocked. :evil:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sad indeed. Sure hope it didn't spoil the birthday.

Sounds like you did more than you should have to please them.

GG
  • Much the same thing has happened to me - but it was relatives not friends.

I've had a cousin tell me how to barbeque and the tosser can't cook a sausage without it catching on fire.
    And that's all he ever serves - cheap sausages.

We've had them hold out their wine glasses at Christmas parties to be re-filled without even looking at us or saying thanks.

We have not extended invitations to the worst offenders for nine years and have not accepted any. And, trust me Captain, life has been much, much better.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Your post will probably be deleted (the 'f' word among others) but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth before that.

First of all, those people were like that before they came to your party. You just gave them another opportunity to be a-holes.

Second, you should hope they made it home okay without being involved in an accident. Needless to say, they would probably blame/sue you for your much too generous application of adult beverages.

Finally, I wouldn't have thought of you as being patient enough to put up with it. But I've been there and done that too so I can't be too hard on you.

Like the rest of us, live and learn. You will know what must be done next time.

Spring "Times Up" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Scary thing is, those people are eligible to vote...
  • That is inexcusable. I have no doubt that the food you served was good, but even if it was not, that is besides the point. I have been to events where the food was not even close to good, yet upon leaving I thank them for inviting me, tell them I had a good time, etc. and go the hell home, and I'm a jerk.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Holy cow Jeff!!! what the heck?? I think for Christmas a "miss Manners" book would make a nice gift. From the sounds of the menu and the hospitality and the fact that this was a KIDS party the kids were the over grown ones!!
    maybe cyber friends are the way to go. I certainly can under stand how you feel over hearing things like that. just make the guest list shorter next time :) Julie
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Oh Hell no!! Not in my house. I would've showed him the door and pushed him out. I'm sure your wife had riens on you somewhat. :) Not me, I dont't dig that behavior, not from family so why from friends??
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Astounding. You guys make every effort to be great hosts (going farther than I would have!) and are rewarded with b!tching! They have absolutely no clue about good food, good beer, or social graces. The only question is whether their "friendship" is worth putting up with the accompanying crap. From the sound of your note, you'd be better off not seeing them again, but that's between you and your wife.

I'd scratch them off my list...permanently.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I would have call them on it then invited then to get out! I bet they didn't even bring anything with them when they came over.
    :angry::angry::angry:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I had to log on to weigh in on this one!

I've been a guest at Chez Stike and was treated like a minor celebrity! Food was great and the company even better. And, when I thought it was time to leave I was almost tied to the chair.

You are a more forgiving person than I would have ever been. I'd have kicked their a**es out a long time ago.

You and Darlene are great hosts in my humble opinion.

If there is a ever is a next time for any reason with these idiots, invite me up. I'd have a great time tap dancing on their a**es!

Sorry I couldn't make the "Fidel meet" The indians were busy taking my money.
  • I think I should share my personal philosophy. I have a three hour rule. That means I will be a part of a function no longer than 3 hours. This is enough time to have a good time, but certainly not near long enough to wear out my welcome.

When I am hosting, as the 3rd hour approaches, I start to clean up. When the clock strikes hour 3, I usually stand up and say something like, "Well, thanks for coming!"

My wife hates it and loves it. She hates when it is put into effect, but she LOVES the result.

3 hour rule, should be part of the Geneva Convention.

Stike, those people were unbelievably rude. I hope you told them to forget the directions to your house.

I would be honored to be invited to your house. I would have loved the beer and the chix, and best of all, I would have left after 3 hours.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Damn Stike, I've got friends in low places but none that rude, and at a 9 year olds birthday party they expect YOU to get Them DRUNK??? I would have started booting asses (literally) to the curb.
    (btw ,,I like bud :P :P)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    The human race never ceases to amaze me from both ends of the spectrum. I know how you must feel, My "Friend".

LR
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I have never heard of the "three hour rule" but I have heard of the "three day rule for house guests".

We don't do a lot of entertaining and have never had guests as rude as the ones Jeff and Darlene had. But, if we had had guests like that I wouldn't have been anywhere as patient as they were I'd have tossed their butts out! :angry:
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Your official clearance to get medieval was granted when they started to mock the wife via the food she was serving.

Hopefully someday they notice you haven't had them over for a while and be dumb enough to ask why...

Better days ahead...

Big T
    Nashville TN
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    WTF... i been here long enough to know that the food you served was perfect and the beer was cold.
    there are people in this world who know they are inadequate and the only way they can feel good about them selves is to ridicule those with greater abilities [that would be you, i have seen the pics].
    next year invite a bunch of eggers... they will bring hostess gifts [my sons are 24 and 28 and they do this with out being told] they will bring alcohol and they will offer to help cook and serve and they WILL help clean up.
    i hope this morning finds you in a better mood.
    if you need to vent send me an e-mail i will send my number an you can swear into the phone as much as needed.

p.s. i cannot believe you deleted the beef wellington pics..
    sincerely,
    bill
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    One more reason I prefer my antisocial personality :evil: Sorry you had a horrid get together with these bottom feeders! Hope next time is better. Beers too ya
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I'm just guessing that these folks were just the kids friends parents and maybe not "your friends". Great beer and we all know better about the food. someone said that those clowns are used to dried out chicken and that makes sense. I know you held back as to not be your children's "a-hole dad". Tough situation man. You swallowed a lot last night and probably feel it today.
    You truly did for your child and I commend you for it. It just sucks that a small percentage of a-holes in the world had to find their way into your house. I'll bet that if last night was a block party and didn't involve a kids b-day party, someone woulda got their A$$ kicked.

New day today Stike. Watcha Eggen?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    No, can't say that I've had an experience like yours. Sorry to hear about what happened.
    You got friends here......and if I ever get the chance to meet you at Eggtoberfest, gin martini is on me. ;)
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    My sympathies. I didnt realize you were friends with my ex-wife and her parents. :sick:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL sorry that is to funny doccjb!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Could have been worse. They could have stayed until about 2:00 am and drank a couple bottles of your finest wines in addition to the Sam Adams.

I'm with you - I just don't understand people sometimes. The difference is I would have told the ungrateful sons-of-bishes to GTFO after I had enough or them (and enough liquid lubrication).

I hope Henry had a great birthday in spite of the company kept last night.

(And in my opinion, you do have a least one friend - lifelong unless I do something to screw it up)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I can tell you that Jeff and Darlene would not let you leave in three hours. They certainly object if you even attempt to help clean up afterwards.

They are terrific hosts and I cannot believe someone would take advantage of their generosity like this. To be frank, it sucks that people behave this way.
  • First rule of show biz...leave 'em wanting more! ;)