Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket

Red Dog
Red Dog Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ate some pretty good commercially prepared Brisket in Dallas last week and want to try one on the egg. I would like a reference where the total process to a successful brisket is presented. My wife bought an 8 pounder for my first effort. I've had good luck with pulled pork butts. Can someone give me a reference?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This is a good start:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

There are a ton of brisket write-ups out there. Good luck, briskets can be temperamental.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Doing a 6 lbr. as we speak. Your favourite rub, hickory and maple chips. 225-250 for 8 hours, spray with apple juice every 30 minutes.
    My first one was fabulous. This one is coming along nicely.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have only ever done flats but each has turned out very good.

I am going to do a full packer sometime soon.

GG
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Red Dog,

Here's my writeup on a brisket cook, with some pictures. Not claiming to be an expert by any means, but this recipe comes out pretty tasty. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/05/recipe-smoked-b.html

The key is to cook it slow, about 90 minutes per pound, at a 225ish dome temp. Let the internal get over 190 before pulling, and let it rest before cutting to keep the juices in.

I tend not to spray or baste, as I like to develop a nice bark on the outside, and I find that adding liquid washes away the rub. Not saying it's the only way to do it, but it's how I like it.

Hope this is helpful.

-John
  • Red Dog
    I'm not good with this computer and blogging. Thanks to each of you for your inputs and I will review all of them and report on success or failure. Love this Egghead forum and the information.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Dog,

Funny you should bring up brisket. Getting ready to put a "beast" on in a few hours. Here is the start of things to come.

11.82 CAB brisket (Certified Angus Beef) Fat side down

DSC00635.jpg

Yellow mustard and rub

DSC00638.jpg

Since this "Beast" won't fit on the grid, I used a foil wrapped brick and placed it under the middle. After about 10 hours, I will remove the brick.

DSC00650.jpg

The "Beast" will go on indirect, 215 grid until 190 internal. Approx 100 min per pound. Go to bubbatim.com and look under cooks for bubba's brisket. There is a little more detail and more pics you could look at. Good luck in your brisket journey.
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    btw, good commercially prepared brisket? No such thang!
    They cook it in foil and braise it. It may be tender but lacks flavor and TEXURE big time. IMHO..
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Once you learn how to cook brisket, you will understand..
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Red Dog
    Thanks for the tip - I'll check the bubba site to see what is there. BTW, really nice pictures of your brisket. I may get to this thing on Mon or Tue. Also, that was my first taste of a brisket and so I'm unsure of what to expect of this effort. Everything that folks have told me says this isn't as easy as a butt.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    bubba tim wrote:
    btw, good commercially prepared brisket? No such thang!
    They cook it in foil and braise it. It may be tender but lacks flavor and TEXURE big time. IMHO..
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Once you learn how to cook brisket, you will understand..

I would respectfully disagree. Some BBQ joints do brisket without foil and make a brisket that I would be proud to serve.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Red Dog....A brisket is a completely different animal than a butt....(NO punn intended!). A butt is hard to screw up....a brisket it hard to get right! Having this forum available will help eliminate many of the errors we had to learn the hard way... ;) Let us know how it goes!! Do yourself a favor...start a notebook... take notes...then you'll know what you want to change for the next go round. ;) I hope you are able to report an excellent, killer brisket! :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I am assuming these places don't serve Paella or Jambalaya?? :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: :whistle:
  • bubba tim
    Rod is right! I should have prefaced my statement with the word "Most". I have heard there are some BBQ joints that make great brisket, I have never found them or ate at one myself. :(

Dog, Bisket is a journey. It is the hardest cook of all to consistently do. I have been BBQ'n for over 40 years and have been doing brisket for the last 15 and I am not satitfied yet. Good but not great. Take lots of notes and pics to record. Time, temp, wood, etc. Use a whole bisket. Different parts of the USA cook brisket. Find one you like and try to duplicate. Enjoy the ride! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: