Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two questions

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm starting the first batch of the graduation cook. Four of the large butts all around 8lbs. About how long for these? You'd think I would know this. It's been a while since I've done these. First on my large.
Also picked up some fajita meat and I don't have a wok. I thought my flat round ci pan might work. Just heat it real good on the med, right? About what temp? Should be a quick cook for sure.
Thanks fine folks!!
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fajita meat in the CI direct on the grate around 400. dome open if you want (close the lower vent).

that opf course means "400" isn't applicable. so just a medium fire when you start. they'll cook fast and the fire won't get away from you.

remember, most folks south of the border cooking fajita meat don't have a wok either :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The butts should take about about an hour to an hour and a half per pound. I pull mine at 192F.

I'd get the CI good and hot and cook it fast. HTH.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    a pound right Tod? LOL and we do the cast iron skillet for our meat high and fast like that too for fajita meat.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    True that. Oil or nothing?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks! Looking forward to this type of cook!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    OOPS! :blush: Corrected,Thanks!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if your pan is seasoned well, should n't oil (or too much anyway).

a drop or two never hurt. just don't fry them
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Molly,
    I have found that it is averaging closer to 2hrs a lb for me out here @ 250° dome to get to 190°-200° internal. Especially when starting with multiple butts. It take a bit for the egg to get back up to temp with that much cold meat hitting it all at once.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    multiple butts at one time for me takes a bit longer than cooking a single. Guessing, 1/2 to 1 hour in all added to the start time.

That much meat when wrapped will stay hot for a good long rest if needed.

If you have an easy way to get a DO lid or skillet out of the egg, then put the skillet or lid directly on the lump, let it get hot and then get a great sear on the meat.

I use a very little oil and try to get a sear. Depending how you like the meat you can do some more cooking later with the veggies.

GG
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks Cory.. This is the first full load for the large. I'm picumenting....? :) :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I'm starting them now vs my earlier thought of later. I figure the earlier tomorrow I'll have more pulling/packing time. Don't want to cut into my beauty sleep :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Molly,
    Can you give me a call? I have a couple of questions for ya and it'll be faster than typing it all out. 770-316-3012.
    Thanks
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Give me ten min. or so and I'll call, pork first my friend!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Starting now??? I would think these will be done sometime very late tonight. I would guess putting them on the egg at 9 - 10pm would give you a done time of mid morning.

Kent
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Kent,

mine never cook that fast. I usually put them on around 5 or 6 and pull around noon. They don't vary much.

Rick in Mt.