Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Season Cast Iron Grate

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best method to season a new cast iron grate?

What about on going maintenance?

Michael

Comments

• Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Michael, it's ready to roll. Just clean it with soap and water. After each use, I scrape mine and spray it with pam to prevent rusting and bring it inside. It's grate (no pun intended).... :laugh:
  • Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    actually something better than pam... Weber makes a non stick grilling spray that works at temps much higher than Pam.... it can be sprayed directly onto a fire w/out flame ups.... fantastic product
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    Good idea. Thanks.
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Mine has been on my egg for two years. All I have ever done is clean it with a wire brush and I oil it before each cook. I have not had it rust. Now go buy a steak and get it on there! :woohoo:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Not sure I'd would want to use soap on cast iron being its a porous metal . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I thought for sure that you'd have to season CI.

Michael
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    Meant to say only soap before first use....good to hear ci can stay outside and not rust. Thanks!
  • crabby
    crabby Posts: 19
    Options
    Can't hurt to season it. I decided to do it to my new grate - rubbed with lard, then 2 hrs at 350, wipe down and repeat one more time. Thats how I do all my new CI pans and cooking equipment.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can, but you won't have any seasoning left after a sear.

best thing to do is use it, clean with a brush when hot. if you want to you could wipe with oil before storing it. but any true seasoning is going to be toast when the thing is nuked over coals
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    your daisy is cast iron....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Cook on it.

If you ever take the egg to searing temperatures you burn off any of the seasoning you have done previously.

Just use it and don't worry. If you are located where rust forms just brush it off often and heat it up and cook some more.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    GG stole my sentiments! If you cook on it regularly, it will get seasoned with meat juices every time you cook. I seasoned all my skillets, griddles and DO's with lard and cooked them in the egg. Same with the DW when it started to get gunky and a little rusty, but have not had to season my CI grid.
  • stike
    Options
    he did, and the five posts before him

hahaha