Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking my first Boston Butt alnight

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took Vegas Slim's advice and am cooking an 8 pounder low and slow. Started at 11:00pm last night and still going. Followed the Naked Whiz instructions on his first B.B. and all seems to be going well with a view exceptions. My Redi-chek thermometer woke me at 5:30am indicating low heat in the cooker, 175*. Adjusted back to 220* and went back to bed(adjusted slide vent approx. 1/16 inch opening with daisy wheel open). Woke this morning with meat at 158* and smoker at 200*. Have noticed that there is a 25* difference between the smokers dome temp. gauge and the remote thermometer's temp. gauge located on the grid. The dome's temp is always higher. Is this normal? Anyway, I think I better bump the smokers temp up to at least 250* to get the meat off its 158* plateau and headed toward 200*. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Eggserroneous,
    I agree. I'd go at least 160 for a couple of hours and recheck. Adjust up or down as needed. Internal temp 195 to 205. I recommend shooting for a time to pull at 2 hours before you want to eat. 2 1/2 is better. Let rest an hour to 90 min. and then pull. You'll never go to a q'joint again!

• Unknown
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    Thanks for the advice. The aroma coming from that egg is making me most hungry. Got an 1/8in. air opening with a 260* grid temp./ 275* dome temp. The meat temp is starting to climb again and is at 160* presently.

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Eggserroneous, let it takes it time you wont be sorry! wrap in a towel then place in a ice chest for 90-120 mins then ENJOY!

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    I'm smokin' ribs, but y'all are making me hungry. Shoulder sounds real good! Introducing some relatives to the egg tonight. I give them 6 weeks and they'll have an egg. Doing the ribs at 3.5-2-1 with a 240 dome. Time to foil. Better grab another cold one on the way. Hope everyones dinner turns out perfect. SS