Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Disaster - Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for a little less than a month and have used it quite a lot being (mostly) very pleased with the results.[p]I have just experienced my first TOTAL DISASTER. (RIBS)[p]I used a recipe that called for 375 degrees for 3 to 4 hours.[p]I turned 11 pounds of spare-ribs into charcoal.[p]I would appreciate some recipes (or cooking routines).[p]I am in hopes that I will eventually recover my manly pride and be able to hold my head up again. <smile>[p]Actually, I am undaunted but a bit wounded. [p]I appreciate your help.[p]KL

Comments

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    KL,
    Charcoal is to be expected cooking at 375 for 4 hours. Not much would last thru that. Check out Tim M's website for ribs. I think he does 3-1-1.5 or something similar. I do 3-2-1. That means grill at 230 or 240, cook three hours on a raised grill, direct.(thats a second grill sitting on fire bricks over top the first grill. Your second grill should be about level with the top edge of the bottom half of the egg) Flip halfway thru. Then wrap in tinfoil and cook an additional 2 hours. Flip and check halfway thru. If they don't look about cooked, raise temp to 250 or 260. Last hour uncover and dry and firm up meat. Should be perfection. Got to go, the fireworks just started![p]SS

• Unknown
    Options
    Still Smokin',[p]Thank you for your help. Learning is sometimes painful. <smile>[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    KL,
    I've been doing pretty good lately with the 3 hours at 250 indirect, 1 hour in foil at 250 indirect, 1.5 hours at 250 out of the foil, indirect. I sauce during the last hour. I'm using KC Masterpiece Original mixed with enough honey to give it a honey flavor. This method is on Tim M's site, as has already been mentioned. Keep at it and good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    KL,[p]That method calls for a ceramic barrier between the fire and the ribs. I have not done ribs that way for a long time, but it does work, albeit there are better methods in my opinion. What was your setup you used?[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That was almost exactly my method last night too. I even used a home made sauce and KC Masterpiece blend for the sauce. My wife brought home these large aluminium cooking bags and 3-5 racks of ribs (cut in half) fits in easily and they makes cleanup a breeze. [p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I used a place setter, drip pan, grill and rib rack. Mustard and home-made blackening spice was used. The seasoning seemed to taste great on the very small part of the ribs that survived.[p]I appreciate your reply.[p]KL
  • Tim M
    Options
    KL,
    I am pretty surprised that with that setup and cooking 11 lbs of spares at 375 for 3 hrs you would have toasted them as badly as you say. Even 4 hrs would surprise me somewhat. [p]Any chance something else went wrong?[p]Tim

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    KL,
    Have you calibrated your thermometer lately??[p]~nikki

• Unknown
    Options
    nikkig,[p]I appreciate that suggestion. Yes I have done that though.[p]KL
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    KL,
    If you ask 10 "chefs" on this board how they do their ribs, you'll get 10 different answers, and they would all be correct. Part of the fun is trying "this-n-that". Bottom line: if the meat is laced are covered with fat, then cooking lo-n-slo is the way to go. If the meat is lean, roast it at 350 until done to your satisfaction. There are lots of ways of getting there for either type of meat. Have fun!

• RB
    RB Posts: 3
    Options
    Still Smokin',[p]I was out shopping yesterday and came upon the BGE @ GBY's. The sale guy couldn't say enough about it.....However, after checking out the site and doing some reading, Is it as dificult to use as you all make it sound. Now I put ribs out on the grill now and only have to worry about occasional flare ups and keeping the beer cold. But three or so steps at differnt levels, wrapped or not, etc., sounds like a lot more work than I'm ready for......Am I misundestanding something here?
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    RB,[p]Like with any cooking, you can have successes and learning experiences....[p]My first ribs were done the 3/1.5/1 method (three hours indirect, followed by 1.5 hrs in foil-still indirect, followed by 1 hr direct) at 250° and came out unbelievable![p]1st-baby-backs-crop.jpg[p]...the beauty of this cooker is the ability to regulate a temperature in the cooker with very little effort, from the low and slow temps in the low 200's to the nuke temps of 800+...you can do anything and everything on it, from the standard burgers and dogs, to 18+ hour cooks with no refueling necessary, to pizzas (see my post just below on Mr. Hyde's setup).[p]If you ever get a chance to eat any of this food, it'll make a believer out of you.....[p]Join the family. You won't be sorry![p]QBabe
    :~)

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Well my thermometer in the dome reads the same as the thermometer on the deck when the BGE is dormant.[p]I am going to try ribs again soon and do some changing of method.[p]I truly appreciate the help I have received in the forum.[p]KL
  • Country Boy
    Options
    RB,
    Try Cat's Method. It will work well. I would not fill up with a lot of lump. will not need it and you can control fire better.

• RB
    RB Posts: 3
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks! Also have a neighbor and co-worker that have one as well.. The one does evrything from Pizza to Ribs and back...LUVS it...the other primarily just as a smoker....I think I'm ready to give it a whirl...appreciate the follow up.