Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time: 2 butts

Options
Cozy
Cozy Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I've done one 7-8 lb butt at 235 dome it's taken around 12 hours. I have a couple of 8 lb. butts I'm planning to have for tomomrrow evening. Is there going to be a large increase in cook time?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cozy,

As long as you keep them separated the cook won't increase. With that said cooktimes do vary.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    cook time will be in the neighborhood. I did 2 the other day at 250* and took 10 hours I expected 12. Some butts are different. Some are called turbo butts because they cook faster than the others. Start at 9 or 10 tonight cook at 250 and Kick those butts up to 250*. It is a much better temp for a few reasons. If you don't have a gadget like a Guru or a stoker you are less likely to loose the fire during the night. I have gotten to where I start the butts on 250 and let the Egg do its thing. Some even run it to 275. You will not have any difference in the meat.
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    Options
    I cooked two a few weeks ago for a Cancer Relay for Life event. I did them low and slow for 18 hours. They turned out great. We sold sandwiches of pulled pork, hot dogs and hamburger. We were able to donate over 800 bucks from food sales. The pork went quick. Food products were all donated (no food cost)

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    235 Dome is too low...you're under 200 at the grid...Crank it up to around 275 / 300 dome....The BGE is designed to run at a warmer temp and not dry out meats....235 / 225 is a 'sexy smoking temp' but entirely un-necessary.....

eddiemac
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have cooked at least 20 butts in the last year and they always take between 16 and 17 hours without fail at 250 dome. I check my dome thermometer and cook to 200 degrees before pulling. There were times I thought they would be done way earlier then the plataue and putt, putt, putt. Even different sizes have had little effect on my cooking times. Just seems funny to read the variability in everyones butt.