Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New gasket wait time?

Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm happy to say that after 3 consecutive years of moving, I finally have a backyard again and can get back to cooking on my egg. Not being allowed to use my BGE due to apt complex rules after enjoying an egg for 4 years was very difficult. I've rescued my egg from storage in my Mother-in-law's garage and just need to install a new felt gasket and I'm ready to go again. My wife just picked up the BGE felt gasket replacement kit from a local dealer and I plan to install it after I get home from work today. Can I cook on it immediately after installation or should I wait a day to allow the adhesive to set? Thanks.

Comments

• I have always heard to wait at least 24 hours. If you are going to go through all of the hassle of changing a gasket I would highly reccommend you get a nomex gasket instead of the felt.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    I did mine last week. I'd let it rest (lid down) for 24 hours. Then 4-5 low temp cooks to cure it. (I'm only on low temp cook #2. so I have a few more to go)
    So far so good with the gasket.
    Welcome back to the BGE by the way!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If you picked up the kit from a dealer it probably is felt.

The adhesive is a "film" type adhesive not a liquid. I have really mixed results and feelings about the 'cure' theory.

I put a new gasket on a large (older felt gasket) and let it sit 48 hours. I did 40 cooks under 400° and on the next high temperature cook the adhesive gave way.

I have also cooked after installing a felt gasket within 5 hours. I was careful how I lit the egg and kept the temperature under 400° dome. I opened and closed the egg carefully just to be careful. All was fine and that gasket has been on my large for a year and a half now.

24 hours after install is the safest route. It is always safer to cook as low a temperature as you can, so the first few cooks under 400° dome won't hurt in any way.

GG
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    I also vote for the nomex gasket.

The only thing I can add to the felt gasket talk is when my small arrived and I unpacked it, it was the felt gasket and in spots it was already peeling off.

I just assembled the thing and waited to decide what to do, the mothership sent me a nomex one before the felt even came off after I inquired so I figured I would just go and pull off the felt one(since it was already peeling away.

Well, after sitting in the sun for several days the felt gasket had adhered better and I couldn't find the weak spot.. It was still crappy adhesive though as I was able to pull 90% of it off bare handed.

moral is low temp cooks are well and good but even just sitting in warm weather will cure the thing some.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    After all of the talk about bad adhesives etc. I did mine on a Sunday and then waited a week where I was travelling. Wife came home with some steaks and I did a high temp cook and it held fine. I used the spray adhesive (Super 77) and nomex gasket. I did spend an incredible amount of time with solvents trying to get the old adhesive off prior to installing the new gasket. To me that prep work was a real pain and hoping that the Nomex gasket lasts a long time..