Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cotronics Gasket Install

Bill0021
Bill0021 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting the original felt gaskets in Canada from a dealer is tough on a good day. Getting Nomex is...well almost impossible. I can get it on-line but when you add shipping charges, duties, brokerage fees, it adds up fast. A regular felt gasket lands in at close to $50 if I can not find it at a dealer.

I heard that The Nomex was much better but not perfect. I have heard good things about the Cotronics Gasket, and just want this problem solved. It arrived by UPS today. I will do the install on Saturday.

I have two questions:

It comes with an adhesive backing. Does anyone know if it will hold or if it needs to be reinforced further with the 77 Spray Glue?

Also, when I remove the top and loosen the band, will I need new screws when I put it all back together because of the bending?

Thank you.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    The old screws are fine and considering what you went through for a gasket, some extra hold with glue might be a good move. Is anything reasonable in Canada? Aside from wild game and ice?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    A good buddy has the same gasket and says it is top notch stuff.
  • Bill0021
    Good to hear it is good stuff. Came in at US$90 for 50' with the shipping and fees. I have been taking it easy on the steak searing and pizza temps trying to preserve the felts.

I will be happy to open her up.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I have replaced all my gaskets with Cotronics Ceramic gaskets. 2 large, 1 Med, and a mini that has been sold.
    They are great! Go to my web site and look under the projects tab. You will find the how to with pics. Very easy to replace. It takes me 30 minutes start to finish.
    Hope this helps. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I replaced the gaskets in my large and small about 4 years ago. No problems with the gaskets but my first order was gasket with adhesive tape. The tape failed on the first firing.

I replaced it with tape without the adhesive tape and used a high temp (600 degree) silicone adhesive.

Have no idea how the adhesive tape/77 glue will work but it is worth a try.

Spacey
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    My dealer suggested 3M super 77 and also suggested masking the inside of the base and dome to keep glue from getting into the cooking area. Gotta do mine this week-end too. :(
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    I did a felt gasket replacement a week ago.
    You don't have to worry about Super 77 getting inside the Egg. If it does, it burns off quickly. Some guys have sprayed it into a cup then brushed it on. That is up to you. But don't worry about it inside the Egg.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Good info in this post! I ordered one of the cotronics this week as well.

So do you have to use the glue? The reason I bought this was to avoid using glue.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Bill,

Word of warning: I called Cotronics, and 2 different people told me NOT to use it around food.

I brought that up here, and people jumped down my throat. While i'm sure there are risks with everything, when the manufacturer of the product tells me NOT to use it.... I listen... YMMV...

Where do you live? I have no problem finding felt replacements. I agree.. Nomex with shipping IS expensive - and BGE Canada doesn't carry them (why I have no idea). I bought mine from FredsMusicAndBBQ.com

I've been talking with the guys at Ontario Gas BBQ. I believe they are trying to get some in their store. Hopefully it'd be cheaper.

My other suggestion would be to get together with the other CDN eggers here, and do a group by from a retailer (Freds?)..
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    You might have luck on ebay too. I sold a felt gasket on ebay for 5.50$ plus 10$ shipping after the mother ship sent me a free nomex.
  • Bill0021
    Ugg, The Cotronics might not be healthy? I know alot of people have used it but I will take the word of caution and get more info before installing. Thanks for the heads up and I promise to report back on what I find out. Maybe I should have just gone with the Nomex from Fred's.

I am totally annoyed by the whole gasket issue. It is like buying a car but you can not go on the highway because the tires will burn to the rims. In Canada you are just S... out of Luck.

I can not get it to sit tight without the gasket as some are able to do.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's not that it is "not healthy", it's that it hasn't been tested for use around food.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • If you are worried about healthy - eat tofu.

Spacey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    exactly. misplaced risk assessment.

it's more dangerous to get in your car and go buy a felt gasket than to cook with the coltronics you already have. hahaha

more dangerous to eat a lifetime of steak prepared on the grill, too.

i have a friend that is deathly afraid of flying, but drives around without a seat belt.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I visited the Contronics website and studied the specifications sheets for 395 and 397. I am placing an order tomorrow.