Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centering the dome

Options
Vinyl Professor
Vinyl Professor Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:

Thanks to everyone who posted responses to my earlier question about cold smoking....

Now, on to my next question. Our BGE came pre assembled. The dome isn't centered...on the left hand side (looking down at the BGE) the felt gasket is exposed about a quarter of an inch. It seems to be "flush" on the right hand side. Is this something I need to worry about or should I center the dome.

If the answer is yes to centering the dome, how do I do that?

Thanks...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    don't sweat 1/4" - in your case if you measured precisely you'd find your dome is out-of-round. They are produced by a method called slip castings and until fired the units are subject to slight changes (irregularities).
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you are sure the dome does not match the base (side to side & front to back), it would seem either the base or dome, possibly both, is out of round.

I would first contact your dealer then BGE Service and ask for help/resolve.

The important thing is that you can get a good dollar bill test around the circumference of the egg.

GG
  • Vinyl Professor
    Options
    Dollar bill test?
  • RRP
    Options
    for one fourth of an inch? Come on - BGE's are far from being precise and if new eggers start being told to expect nothing but perfection then you're leading them astray!
  • Vinyl Professor
    Options
    thanks for the update/advice...both of you...

RRP: love your profile pic...four eggs! I'm envious!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    "BGE's are far from being precise" The eggs are not $150 grills either.

My large basic setup cost me $1,150.

33% out of round, on a large, 50% on a medium - that's where I say "Come-on".

BGE might say it isn't a warranty problem and again they might get it corrected, that's why I suggested making some calls. It would be worth looking into for me.

Kent
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    With a COLD Egg:

Put a bill between the top and bottom and shut the egg. Then pull the bill out of the egg...it should have a nice resistance. Maybe a 6 or 7 on a 10 scale. Do this all the way around. If it needs adjustment, loosen the top band bolt (slightly) and adjust. Then tighten. Now understand that your hinge is spring loaded and wants to push upward. So don't loosen the bolt too much.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When I first got my large, 2 years ago, I had some gasket problems. A little adjustment work and the problems got resolved.

When I got my medium there were some problems which I wanted to sort out.

A quick and easy test is to take a dollar bill, or some copy paper, cut the width of a dollar bill. Put the paper/dollar in the egg at 4 spots, 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock.

Lightly pull the paper/bill out. If there is no resistance and or the paper/bill can be pushed in or out that is a problem which should be corrected. If there is a medium pull that should be OK. If there is a very tight pull or the paper/bill tears that is an excellent seal.

The problems I had on my original medium got me to doing a very comprehensive dollar bill test which you can read about by clicking this link.

My medium's problems were severe enough the dome and later on base had to be replaced.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    Kent,
    Please man, go back and read his initial post - one side matches up and the other is off one fourth of an inch. He's not saying the dome doesn't close and he has a 1/4 inch gap.

If BGE starts replacing domes and bases because of 1/4" then they will go belly up in a matter of weeks! you know that, Kent!

I'm just trying to be realistic and your idea of leading newbies to think 1/4" is a possible warranty issue is not fair to them let alone BGE.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ron,

I just re-read the initial post and your comment above. I am thinking what is being said is that the oval diameter of the dome to base or base to dome matches at the 3 o'clock position, and at the 9 o'clock position there is a 1/4 inch of the gasket showing.

I am reading into that, that one surface is either not round or one surface is smaller than the other. This is a horizontal issue not a vertical issue that possibly can be adjusted.

I believe I said above my large has a similar problem, however, out about 1/16 inch which really doesn't bother me. The point being that if both Vinyl Professor egg and my egg were the same age and condition, my large having a 1/16" gap and his having a 1/4" gap, personally, I wouldn't want to trade and take the egg with the large exposure.

Possibly the much exposure doesn't matter to you and you wouldn't mind exchanging eggs... just two different opinions.

It somewhat sounds like a quality control issue. As I stated, a call should be make to see what gives. If it is in fact a quality control issue, I would think BGE would want that corrected.

BGE going belly up... I believe BGE's quality control is quit high, but that's my thoughts. It sure wouldn't hurt to talk with BGE if in fact there is a problem or perceived problem. I am more than confident BGE will handle the situation properly and fairly.

With all respect, Kent
  • Nicolas_Kershanko
    Options
    I would think that the only way to know for sure if the lid is not the same diameter is to detach the lid from the band.

If you could get the plastic retainer clips back onto the spring hinge you could then loosen the band. Once detached you could manually move the lid back and forth or turn it to see how it fits.

For me, having to put together the BGE myself, I found having the upper and lower band bolts on opposite sides helped. Tightening the bands caused things to move toward the band bolts so having them on either side helped things meet in the middle.

To balance the pull toward the hinge when tightening the bolts that hold the band on to the hinge I used washers. I placed a single washer on each of the 4 bolt between the metal of the hinge and the metal of the band.

As far as getting the lid to sit down properly on the base for a good tight seal (the dollar bill test) it's all about the bands. They have to be pushed up or down, respectively to lid and base, as far as they can go.

Imagine the BGE as one of those Christmas tins of popcorn. If you put the lid on and pushed only one side down, the opposite side would sit up and you wouldn't get a seal. The top of the BGE is the same thing, if the band is not level then the lid will come down kinked. To ensure that it is level, the best thing to do is get the band pushed up to ridge all the way around. The same with the bottom.

Good luck.