Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

babyback question

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok here comes another stupid one!! how do you all tell when your ribs are done BESIDES temp? i usually puell when you pick the rack up and the bend causes it to tear the meat any other ways to tell?

Comments

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    I go by appearance, the should pull back 1/4" to 3/8", they should look thoroughly cooked, no visible fat. I usually start picking a little near the end, when it pulls easy they are probably done. Anymore I usually pull an end rib, that is over cooked a bit which lets me visually check the second from the end. I also sometimes just lift an end to see if the rack is about to fall apart. You eventually get a pretty good feel for the doneness. I bet we've cooked babyback ribs 30 or 40 times now. Each time is different, but our consistency has been excellent. I never use a thermometer, when I do, they never come out as good as when check with the above noted tests. Good luck.

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Still Smokin', thanks! i appreciate it i hope you and yours have a safe and happy 4th!