Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFS Lump

Options
BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought 2 - 20# bags of lump from GFS today for 11.99 a piece, has anyone used their lump before? I just filled the medium and it looked pretty good--nice big pieces!! I'm hoping it burns as good as it looked.

I'm cooking 2 whole chickens for dinner tonight, one with JH chicken tickler rub and the other with cajun seasoning. Cooking at 400* for about an hour. Should be good!

Comments

• GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    Options
    GFS is the only lump I've been using for about 6 mos. I like it because it's in 20# bags and has bigger chunks. I used to get Royal Oak there, but now they only carry their own brand. I find it comparable to RO, maybe a little more ash. The RO from Wal mart comes in 10# bags, the pieces are generally smaller and the egg doesn't breath as well. I just cooked 12 slabs of baby backs, 25 chicken wings and 6 breast all on one full load of GFS.(about 10hrs @ 250 degrees-ribs, and 2 hours @ 350 degrees for the chicken)I like it!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I have an email from GFS stating that Royal Oak makes their private brand label now plus it is wood from the USA. I have no reason to doubt it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    Options
    I thought it might be RO. I just put a load in, cooking for my son's college graduation. More wings! I got him a large BDE for graduation. I figure he might as well start his adult life eating right.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    You're a good father!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.