Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glad that I dusted off my Green Egg a couple of weeks ago....

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well...would anyone believe that I have owned a Green Egg for about 4 years and have only used it once? I actually bought it when I was single and living in a 3rd floor apartment at the urging of a good friend who bought a TEC grill but wished he had "The Egg". I was so worried the first time I smoked a chicken because so much smoke was pouring off my apartment balcony. I lived right above the complex pool. I just knew the fire department was going to show up. I put the Egg into hibernation at that point. [p]I bought a house about a year later and still never used the Egg even though I had my own pool and a nice patio. The friend that urged me to purchase the Egg ended up borrowing it for a few weeks and even up until today he can say that he's cooked on my Egg more times than I have.[p]Well...I dusted off the Egg a couple of weeks ago and ventured into Butt cooking per the comments on this board...i.e....that you can't mess up a Butt. I set the Egg at 225 degrees about noon on a Sunday with the intention of letting the Butt go all the way to 190 or 195. I used several chunks of soaked Hickory wood and filled the fire pit with Green Egg Lump. (BTW...my neighbor stuck his head over the back fence to make sure all the smoke was not my house burning down.) It was 10:00 that night before I checked the meat the first time. The Butt had been on for about 10 hours at 225 (..with occassional increases to 300). My meat thermometer read 180 degrees on the outer edges and 170 in the middle. I decided pull the Butt at that point and not let it go overnight. The meat ended up pulling apart on the outer edges and slicing in the middle. I probably could have and should have left it on the smoker till morning....oh well...next time.[p]The pulled pork was outstanding. I can't wait to do another one and let the entire Butt reach 190+ before pulling it.[p]My next task it to try different homemade BBQ sauces until I find the ultimate.[p]My wife isn't too crazy about BBQ but did mention that the pulled pork was pretty good. Her chief complaint was the heavy smoke smell in my clothes all day and also the very heavy smoke smell inside our house when I brought in the Butt and pulled it. I think next time I will pull the Butt outside rather than making our house smell like the local BBQ joint....although we all know our smell from the Egg is better![p]Glad that I dusted off the Egg. I am heading to Sam's Club or Costco today to buy my next attempt on the grill. Maybe ribs...maybe beer can chicken...maybe brisket.[p]All I can say is...I'M BACK and DAMN GLAD THAT I DUSTED OFF MY EGG!!![p]=)[p]Lumberjack[p]

Comments

• Lumberjack,After a while she won't mind the smell. In the mean time you will learn to stand up-wind :-)

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Lumberjack,
    Good for you, get her used to egged food and she will accept the smoke smell. (I think, LOL)[p]BBQ Sauce,
    You might want to try our own forum member "BlueSmoke" Big Chief Sauce, it's cost a little more becasue of shipping but it's a winner IMHOP.[p]If interested, contact Ken (BlueSmoke) at the link.[p]keep on egg-en,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    O.K. the link did not take, try this,[p]BlueSmoke (Ken Stone)[p]Email address:
    KenStone@mail.4edisp.net[p]Hope that helps,
    New Bob

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Lumberjack,[p]If your wife is anything like mine, try a nice filet (stuffed with blue cheese). I also made garlic mashed potatos and afer that meal, she was hooked!
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Lumberjack,
    She'll come around on the food/smoke smell. And once she learns she'll have less to cook because you're doing more and more, she'll be happy.

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Lumberjack,
    Next time you do a butt - pull it at 200 degrees internal...that extra 10 degrees makes a difference in my opinion. I just did two 8 pounders - put then on last night at midnight @ 235 - pulled them off at about 4 pm today - wrapped them in plastic wrap then towels and stuck them in the cooler and headed for the park. Ended up pulling them at the picnic site with a crowd looking on.[p]Welcome back to the world of ceramic cooking!
    Happy 4th
    Cap'n