Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My LGBE just arrived AND...

Options
tarheelforever
tarheelforever Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My baby came this morning and I can't wait to cook this evening. Problem is my wife thinks I'm insane spending this much on a grill and table. OK, I did buy a few accesories also..

I can't mess up this first cook. Any suggestions on a fool proof first cook?? I'm depending on you guys..

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome to the "CULT" Spatchcock chicken is safe and great. Do not get the BGE over 450F for a few cooks until the gasket gets happy on its perch.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm.
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    Every time I think about how much I've spent on outdoor grilling stuff, and other hobbies I get sad at all the other house work and upgrades I could have done.

Then I think screw it, its a balance between fun and being happy and real life stuff eh?

Ya only go this way once!
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Tarheel,

Give us some guidance - what does your wife like?

If I had to choose with no additional information, I'd pick a chicken. In my experience, chicken comes out fantastic on the Egg, and it's nearly impossible to screw up. It comes out nice and juicy every time, and nicely absorbs smoke flavor.

I posted one of my favorites to the recipe section of this forum a while back. There is an additional writeup and some pictures on our blog as well at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/06/recipe-lemon-ch.html. You may want to show your wife the BGE recipes section of our site. My wife and I have used the Egg to make everything from beef brisket to complex desserts. Once she sees the versatility, your investment may be more easily accepted.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to cook, and how it comes out.

-John
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    FearlessGrill wrote:
    Tarheel,

Give us some guidance - what does your wife like?

If I had to choose with no additional information, I'd pick a chicken. In my experience, chicken comes out fantastic on the Egg, and it's nearly impossible to screw up. It comes out nice and juicy every time, and nicely absorbs smoke flavor.

I posted one of my favorites to the recipe section of this forum a while back. There is an additional writeup and some pictures on our blog as well at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/06/recipe-lemon-ch.html. You may want to show your wife the BGE recipes section of our site. My wife and I have used the Egg to make everything from beef brisket to complex desserts. Once she sees the versatility, your investment may be more easily accepted.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to cook, and how it comes out.

-John

She loves chicken so that my be my best bet.
  • mxdadx2
    mxdadx2 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm still on the learning curve but beer can chicken is a pretty safe no brainer. keep us posted and send a pic of that first cook.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I guess the spa for hot tubbing ribeyes might have been a little over the top huh :ermm:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't worry, you'll win her over. My wife was quite indulgent with me from the first. However, the Egg really won her over when I did pork steaks on it. Previously, she had asked that I not grill pork steak 'cause they were too greasy unless cooked to almost burnt. But with the Egg producing a nice hot direct temperature AND a moisture holding environment, her reaction was "Those were pork steaks!? You can do those again."
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Just make sure you avoid the rookie mistake and let the charcoal heat up until all the white smoke is gone before you throw the meat on. Nothing will ruin your egg enthusiasm faster than botching your first cook because you didn't prepare the coals properly.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    She'll be over it in the very near future. Pork t-loins are a huge hit, along with the never fail "Spatchcock".

Enjoy your new toy :silly:
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I have to agree with Adam. Pork T-Loins and Spatchcock Chicken. It would be hard to pick between the two. Just be sure and use some Dizzy Pig on them .....

Rick in Mt.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I did chicken thighs for my first cook on the BGE. They're just about impossible to overcook. A meat thermometer to check the internal temperature is essential to avoid the opposite problem. There's nothing worse - in my mind - than undercooked chicken.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I finally got my hands on some, so now I do. Although Butt Rub is some damn good stuff as well.