Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 lb. Boston Butt in 6 hours

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just gave me an 8lb. boston butt and asked me to cook it for supper tonight. I'm following a recipe in the BGE book for marinated Boston Butt cooking at 300. Can it be cooked within 6 hours for tonight and at what meat temperature should it be done, 160, 170 or what? I have a Redi-Chek smoker thermometer by Maverick that I plan to use. It monitors the smoker temp as well as the meat temp. I just took a look at the Naked Whiz site and realized "low and slow" wasn't going to cut it today!Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggserroneous,
    Don't know about 6 hours at 300. Meat temp should get to 190 - 195 degrees. I have 2 on now - 15lbs total going on 17 hours @ 240 dome temp with about 2 hours to go.
    Good luck - happy 4th.

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Eggserroneous, i would do the butt overnight tonight and have it for saturdays dinner the wait will be worth it imho as for tonight get some steaks or even ribs have a safe and happy 4th!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Eggserroneous,
    You can cook it to only 180 or 185, I've heard, if you want to slice it rather than pull it. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eggserroneous,
    A butt that size needs 4 to 16 hours, in 6 hours you will be at the point where it will start making it tender.
    You can cut into 1 to 2" wide pieces and cook as country style ribs and have a shoot at the 6 hour mark.
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Thanks for the advice. How much lump should I put in for an overnight and when should I put in the smoke chips, at the beginning or toward the end? Also, do you protect your thermometer wires with aluminum foil?

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    I hang wires all over my non-egg. They run from lower and upper grates through the lid vent hole. No foil, no problem.
  • smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    Options
    Eggserroneous, i haven't yet cooked a butt in my egg, i'm pretty new at the egg, but we used to cook butts in the weber kettle all the time, indirect heat, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a six pounder, it was delicious! we did slice it, it did have some fat left in it, but it was both tender and juicy. i want to do one soon in the egg, but i want to do low and slow.. because i can.