Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where is the top of the fire ring? I've always thought it was the lower of the two rings in the Egg, so have filled it with lump accordingly. I was thinking (always dangerous) that perhaps the fire ring extends all the way up to where you rest the grid or plate setter. Which one is it? Thanks.

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Jerr,
    The fire ring is what you rest the grid or plate setter on when cooking. You can fill lump at least half way up the fire ring for long cooks. I usually leave just enough space for whatever chunks of wood I'm using for smoking. Have a great 4th!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jerr,
    Yessir. The grate sits on the top of the fire ring. Lump can be filled to just below the grate if desired....though I have never had to do this in the large. [p]Happy Independence.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Thanks, Gandolf and NB. That explains why I didn't have enough lump for my two and only two butt smokings earlier this year. Gonna egg an 8-pound butt tomorrow and will fill near top of fire ring this time, so shouldn't have to add lump. Have a happy Fourth of July.

• Thanks, Gandolf and NB. That explains why I didn't have enough lump for my two and only two butt smokings earlier this year. Gonna egg an 8-pound butt tomorrow and will fill near top of fire ring this time, so shouldn't have to add lump. Have a happy Fourth of July.