Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ

Options
RebelEgg
RebelEgg Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to buy one this week, and on their website it ask what fan do you want. If you have one, what fan did you get or would you get for a large bge. Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Most folks get the 10cfm. The 4cfm is perfectly fine according the people that have them, but the 10 offers a little more versatility and it's only a few more bucks. When your spending $200+, what's $10 more?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The 4cfm is more than adequate for a large BGE and you don't have to remember to choke it down to avoid over heating. -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Now Randy you know bigger is always better... :P
  • AZRP
    Options
    Makes sense, buy a 10cfm and have to choke it down 50%-75% to use it, brilliant. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    AZRP is correct. The smaller blower will work fine on the large.

I had the exact same question when I got my q2.

Decided to make a call to the folks that make the units. I called Fred Sr. and talked with him. Told him I had a large and he advised me to get the Viper (10 cfm). Love my setup.

On the q2 the blowers have a slider which can be closed down to restrict the air flow into the egg. The 4cmf will never blow more air, the 10 cfm can always be adjusted to blow down to 4 cmf or lower.

Which ever blower size you decide on one thing to remember is the egg will hold 250° with the lower vent opened about 1/8 of an inch and that setting can get the dome temperature up into the 300's if the DFMT is adjusted correctly or even off.

I had an issue early on with the q2 in that the egg kept overshooting temperature. What I found out was that there was too much air being let into the egg when the blower was not running.

Once I realized the situation on lower temperature cooks, and began to close down the q2 blower to about 1/3 open the overshooting of temperature ended.

GG
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    So when they are off, a throttled down 10 cfm blower will let less air into the Egg than a wide open 4 cfm blower?

I will probably buy the 4 cfm blower in any case, because I also will want to use the DigiQ on the Small Egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The housing and slider for the fan is the same.

The 4 cfm can be adjust from 0 to 4 cfm. The 10 cfm blower can be adjusted from 0 to 10 cfm.

I would need to refer to the instruction manual again but as I recall it is recommended the duty cycle of the blower should be 60% on. When I had the temperature overshoot problem the duty cycle was 10 to 30 percent - slider was set to 1/2 open and at times wider.

My problem wasn't the cfm capability of the blower. It was the amount of free air being allowed into the egg when the fan wasn't running. I would think I would have experienced the same problem if I used the 4 cfm blower in the same adjustments I used the 10 cfm blower.

GG
  • AZRP
    Options
    Kent, I don't think anybody would have an over temp problem if they would adjust the daisy down to almost completely shut and let the fan push the air out. Shouldn't have to close down the damper if there isn't enough open space on top to let it free flow. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Even a 4 cfm fan is strong enough to find a way to push the smoke out. :laugh: -RP

IMG_1197Small.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I have the 10cfm on my medium. :woohoo:

For a low and slow, 230º pit, I set damper on the blower at about 50% and it will chug along for over 24 hours on one load of lump. For higher temp cooks I can open 'er up if need be. I'm no eggspert but it works for me.

Gator
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    10 cfm
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That's a good point.

I sometimes want to impart less smoke into the food and at times leave the DFMT completely off.

I read somewhere that it was a good practice to run the q2 at about a 60% duty cycle. I just can't find that reference.

I grabbed the users manual and it references if the duty cycle is at 10 to 20 percent to close the damper down for better control.

If the damper is running at 80 or 90 percent it is possible one is running out of lump.

For the large and smaller I would think either the 4 or 10 cfm would be fine. Shotgun Fred advised me to get the Viper (10 cfm) so that's what I have.

I love your picture below. Every time I see it I am thinking of some good eats.

Kent
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    about 5% if my math skills are any good. :-)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Get the 10 and use the sliding damper. Talked to Fred himself b4 I got mine. He said you can compleyly shut the damper with out hurting anything and if in the future you want a biger air flow you got it.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I have had great luck using the 10cfm Viper on lrbge, but i keep the daisy closed nearly shut off.