Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza help

Options
doccjb
doccjb Posts: 238
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some wise counsel on pizzas. I've been having a lot of trouble with the crust winding up burned on the bottom. My setup is typically 500-550, indirect, plate setter with legs down, and an old Pampered Chef pizza stone atop either 3 small bricks or three of the little green feet. Tonight I was only cooking my pies for 2-3 minutes, and they were still coming out black on the bottom. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have found the best cooking arraingment to be indirect, pizza stone elevated slightly above platesetter, at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. I also cook my pies on top of parchment paper to make it easy to transfer on and off the pizza stone. Whenever I have tried higher temps I get burnt crusts. I will say I like to load up my pies with goodies so the longer cook time brings everything up to temp together. ;)
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    a few variables to consider

1) change the thickness of the dough
    2) Try a different dough...
    3) Check accuracy of the thermometer
    4) try some parchment paper in between dough and stone for the first few minutes
    if all else fails... consider a new stone.
  • doccjb
    Options
    I was wondering about the stone. We have had this one since we first got together--do they work less well over time?(the pizza stone, not my wife :laugh: )
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    It just so happens I was working on my pizza skills tonight. I find that the thicker BGE pizza stone gives me better results than the Pampered Chef one. My setup tonight was identical to what you described - platesetter with legs down, the BGE feet holding the stone slightly elevated from the platesetter. I baked three pies at ~475-500 for 12 minutes and got really good results. Someone on this forum recently shared Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough Recipe and I followed it to the letter for my best results by far.

DSCN2004.jpg
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    I had the same problem. Here is the original post used to fix the problem, and then a picture of how I do it. Works perfectly every time.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=600545#600545

And here is mine. I start it on parchment paper and remove the paper half way through the cook. Perfect.
    Egg072.jpg

Egg076.jpg
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    There is a direct correlation between the dough hydration and the temps it can be cooked at. I use dough that is at 68% and do not have a “black bottom” at 650 degrees . If you are using a pre-made dough you should keep the temps lower.

TTFN WLL
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I searched for Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough Recipe no result. Can you give me a link?
    Thanks WLL
  • doccjb
    Options
    Thanks, you have just provided me with a good reason to justify another BGE accessory purchase :laugh:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I was going to suggest, like Willie Lump Lump, that you lower your temperature. I have cooked pizza on 400 degrees that came out great! Just keep eggsperimenting.

CIMG3286.jpg

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I do mine high up in the dome at 400-450 and have to turn 1/4 turn every 3 or 4 min to keep it from burning on edges. As said the thickness of crust and temp will change things. The thicker crust and toppings the lower the Egg temp needs to be to keep from burning crusst but center being raw.
    Spring09097.jpg

Spring09094.jpg
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I do mine Plate setter legs up, grid, grid extender then BGE stone. Gets the pie high in the dome for better convection and keeps gasket safer .
  • doccjb
    Options
    Thanks for the tips gang. Seems like the consensus is for a better stone, higher in the dome (sweet, two excuses for additional purchases) and maybe a slightly lower cook temp for a bit longer time on a somewhat thicker crust. Pics of future endeavors to follow.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    FWIW I cook thin crust pizzas for 10-11 minutes at 450º. The setup is the 12" BGE pizza stone on the Spider as a heat deflector, the porcelain grate on the Adjustable Rig, and the 14" BGE pizza stone on the porcelain grate. I let the whole thing heat up for 30 minutes after the temp stabilizes.
  • I'm definitely NOT following the herd on this one. For a real thin crust pizza, use the platesetter, legs down, with the stone directly on top. Get the stone really hot--550 at least--and press out the crust as thin as you'd like. Top it lightly and transfer to the stone. If you don't have a peel, do it on parchment, but slide it off of the parchment within a minute or two of sticking it onto the stone. If the temp is high enough, your crust will cook to perfection just as your cheese or toppings are cooked. The whole process takes three or four minutes, tops, but you can't put a big-fat-American-load of toppings on the poor pie. Restraint is key for pizza neapolitana.