Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dizzy pig and rib question

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok question is we have 5 racks of baby backs for the fourth is there any of the dizzy pig rubs you would NOT use on ribs? also what rubs are the best for ribs i am doing the 3/1/1.5 method thank you

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Yum. Ribs on the 4th. Perfect![p]Personally, i would not use Tsunami as I don't like it on pork (though we have heard from some customers who do ). [p]Dizzy Dust is perfect on ribs. Raging River is suprisingly good on ribs. One of our customers is using it on his competition ribs. [p]But the others would probably be good....not sure how jamaican ribs would be, and the Cow Lick would need some sugar......but the swamp venom or red eye could be interesting. Perhaps some other folks have tried some others and can chime in.[p]Have you found 3-1-1.5 to work best for you?? I tried 3-1-1/2 the other day with St. Louis spares and were a bit overcooked and fell apart. Moist but sloppy. I only did 1/2 hour out of the foil at the end cuz they were done when they came out of the foil. But I am thinking a half hour in the foil might be better. [p]Enjoy the cook, and happy 4th!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I did some babybacks the other day 3, 1.5, 1 and I thought they were a bit mushy when we ate them that night, but were just right a couple days later when we reheated them. We just have to keep striving, eh??[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks appreciate the insight i have yet to have mushy ribs doing it the 3/1/1.5 method i think i am going to try 45 mins in the foil this time see what happens i do like mine kinda chewy and with a bark on it by the way the dizzy pig rubs?? i have yet to q with them but have tried it on everything from eggs to salad to hamburgers and it is fantastic! and the customer service is second to nobdy great job guys!!!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Yes, we must keep striving. Problem for me is I have had great ribs cooked several different ways. Direct at 225. Direct at 250. Indirect at 225,250,275, 300, 325, 350. With foil and without. But for the life of me I just can't get consistently great ribs with any method.[p]But there has to be one method that gives more consistent results that the others. And I need to find it![p]Heee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Still Smokin'
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Ya'll make me wonder if my ribs are what would be considered overcooked. I do a 3-2-1 or even a 3.5-2-1 at 230 to 240. Always rubbed and rested overnight, sometimes adding a coating of French's before putting on the grill raised, indirect. My wife has a thing with fat. So I cook low-n-slow to melt all of it out. I have finally figured out when to stop cooking depending on the texture I am after. I usually pull when the meat will still hold the bone until you take a bite, but then pulls clean with little effort. I have not had anyone elses ribs but my own for a couple of years, so i'm not sure if ours is mushy or not, but we do love the texture. Is that considered overcooked for competition?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    If the whole side of the rib pulls off with a bite, or if the bone plain slips out, it is usually considered overdone by competition judges. The meat should pull cleanly, but one bite at a time.[p]Bottom line is they are done right if you and your family or guests like them....but generally falling off the bone is not a good rib to submit to a table of judges.[p]This is from my limited experience, so FWIW.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Did some with Dizzy Dust Coarse last weekend and they were awesome. Sprinkled some reg. grind on towards the end as well.[p]Thanks Chris![p]

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Nature Boy, I'm with you when it comes to leaving the ribs in foil for only a half hour. I like mine tender and moist but I like a little "pull" when I eat them. The half hour foil method works wonders for this end result. Mac
  • Still Smokin'
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Good explanation, thanks. We find if it hangs on much, there is still a detectable amount of fat. I guess we are cooking to the fat level we like. I will say, cooking with the egg serves less fat, but my bathroom mirror says otherwise. I'm sure its not the beer! :)

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    hehe. Naw. Beer doesn't make you fat. It is just liquid![p]I usually trim the fat of the outside pretty well. And if you St. Louisize the spares, that takes off a lot of the fat that is in the "rib tips". [p]Speaking of beers, I think it is time for one.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com