Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are the "must have" accessories for the BGE?

BigDawg35
BigDawg35 Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wonderful wife decided for our first anniversary that instead of me getting her diamond earrings that she would rather us have a Big Green Egg instead (I know, what an AWESOME woman). Yesterday we went to Georgia Backyard and purchased a Large Big Green Egg with the large work table. The only accessories we purchased were the plate setter, ash tool, grill gripper handle, and electric charcoal starter.

What else are the "must have" accessories? I think I'd like to have the pizza stone and possibly the cast iron grates. I've seen some of the pictures of pizzas on the BGE and am thinking I'm going to have to try it out. Can you get a really good sear on the factory grates or should I get the cast iron? Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to consolidate three units down to just this one. I've got a Weber Performer kettle, a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker, and a Kenmore Elite 6-burner gas grill. Am I living a pipe dream in thinking the BGE will be able to replace all three?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Thermopen

Ohh and this forum, lump and meat.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Platesetter .. with out it (or some sort of heat deflector) the BGE is just a grill.
  • BigDawg35
    I don't have that particular brand, but I've got several different digital thermometers.

I have a great local butcher so getting meat is no issue, and Georgia Backyard is just a couple of exits away for all the lump I could possibly need.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    actually none are must haves but I like collecting toys :woohoo: with a little imagination and things available at most hadware stores you can create just about any type of setup you like but like I said I like to collect toys and would love to be a tester for TJV, bbq guru, thirdeye etc,,,, :whistle:
  • BigDawg35
    I, too, am a toy collector. I already have a ton of BBQ-related gadgets. My original question is mainly around BGE-specific toys.

I want to hear opinions on whether the factory grate is sufficient for GREAT steaks, or should I get the cast iron grate?

Is the BGE pizza stone worth the money or is a "generic" one just fine?

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.
  • I would return the electric starter but that is just me because I am 100% against those things, I do not trust them. I use the weber wax starters. I have got it down to a science where barely half a cube will get things going for me.

As for your grill situation-put the webers on Craigslist and the gas too. Grab one of the portable weber Q grills, I like the propane one. It is great for a quick cook and they travel really well too.
    http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=6&mid=36 I like this one, its the largest one that is still really portable
    good luck
    tim
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Oh the blasphemy of it all.

Where will it end?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    to those 2 questions Yes I like the CI better and the BGE pizza stone is better that anything I've seen out there with the exception of a kiln shelf that others have posted. The thermopen along with the spider and adjustable rig are probably my most used toys.
  • I cannot answer your question about the stone being worth the money because I still do not own one. BUT I saw on an episode of good eats where Alton used a stone that he said was great. It was just a cut of a unglazed tile and cost only a few bucks
    here is a transcript of the flat is beautiful episode. http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season3/Pizza/PizzaTranscript.htm and the video should be on youtube

tim
  • BigDawg35
    I've used the electric starters for years on my WSM. I've got a charcoal chimney, too. I dropped my last electric starter, and it broke thus the reason for getting this one.

Luckily, I just sold the WSM to a co-worker who just read my Facebook status that I got the BGE. He came over to me and said, "When can I come by and get your Weber smoker?" Nice.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    It took me a month or so to purchase my cast iron. It didn't take me that long to cook steaks though.

A ribeye off the standard great was still better than any steak I had ever eaten in a restaurant. The cast iron was an improvement on the process.

To Celtic Wolf's point. I too had other digital therms and fought the Thermapen advice for a couple of months. One of my digitals died during a brisket. When I ordered the Thermapen I was amazed at how quickly it reads...which means I don't have to leave my lid open, which means I have better control of the temps.

If you do a search on kiln shelves, I'm pretty sure I read that people found some on Ebay and found them to be very good. I bought a pizza stone from freds music and bbq. It was not a BGE brand, and have been happy with it. The one caution I have seen is folks have tried to use Pampered Chef stones. They didn't make it.

Congrats on your Egg!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    not a must have, but a spider and adjustable rig makes life easier. you do need a raised grill, i cook raised grill more than anything
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=226
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I often wonder if I had a bigger yard would I keep a BGE and a WSM. I started to think I would rather have 2 BGE, its less clean up. I had a cheap brinkman smoker that was the same style as the WSM and I HATED cleaning it. Taking the grates off, cleaning the water pan, blah blah blah. The egg its simple. Take off the drip pans, turned up the heat and have a beer!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Fishless,

My exact thoughts. He doesn't have to have those, but like you, I use my adjustable rig on almost every cook.

Big Dawg, before you spend $70+ on a cast iron grid, consider the spider/adjustable combo from the ceramic grill store. You can then get a 13" cast iron grid from BGE that fits on the spider and give even better seared steaks, since you right on top of the "volcanic" lump. :woohoo:

Platesetter is great, but I have used mine less since getting the adjustable rig and a 14" round aluminum drip pan from the ceramic grill store. It serves as my indirect piece and drip pan for long cooks.

Enjoy - sell all those other grills - the BGE and it's future sister eggs will do all you need. ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Return that electric starter and use one of the other methods. The cast iron grate is a must for steak lovers. A rib rack is nice to have. I'm dying for a spider and/or adjustable rig.

Oh, another thing that everyone goes through, but hasen't commented on is another EGG :laugh: I have a large and gunning for a small. I was a bit handcuffed again this weekend with just the one.
  • BigDawg35
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I just ordered the spider/adjustable rig. After talking with the guy at the Ceramic Grill Store, I'm probably going to return my plate setter and get a pizza stone instead.

I'm probably going to get a Thermapen after your overwhelming suggestions for it. The digital thermometers I have do take several seconds to register. I didn't think about how the BGE would be more difficult to control heat by leaving the lid open for more than a few seconds.

You guys rock!
  • I got a 15" half round and 16" full round kiln shelf for under $50.00. This included packaging and shipping.
    http://www.axner.com/axner/equipment/cordierite-kiln-shelves.php
  • JudyFoodie
    JudyFoodie Posts: 124
    If you like using electric starters, just get the cheaper regular shaped ones. My BGE cool shaped one didn't last me more than a year. I then bought the cheaper ones, not as conveniently shaped, but IMO are built stronger and do the trick.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I use the electric starters from Lowes. They are $9.95. They don't last forever, but if you take care of them (don't let the lump get too hot and toast the cord :blush: ) they will last for several months. I buy two or three at a time and keep them in the storage room, so I always have one as a spare.

For lo & slo cooks, I use the napkin & oil technique and light in three separate places - works great and keeps the fire from getting too hot.
  • JudyFoodie
    JudyFoodie Posts: 124
    You won't be sorry about the rig/spider, Tom makes some top quality stuff and that combo will be your pride and joy toy. Now return that grill gripper and search out the thirdhand sold by Thirdeye for another ultimate toy.
  • BigDawg35
    ThirdHand and ThreeFingers have now been ordered. I will be returning the electric starter, grill gripper, and plate setter. Instead, I will be getting the pizza stone, a mapp torch, a Thermapen, and the smaller iron grate to go on the spider.

Hopefully this will be enough to satisfy me for a while. I'll post pictures once I get her up and running.
  • Evening All- I have read about the BGE pizza stone. I for one, do not have it. I do have a $9 stone that I got at a discount retailer several months ago. I think any stone will work. The secret is to bring it to temperature with the egg. I have made countless pizzas at 600*. This stone will not crack! (Knock wood). I would likely save my money on the stone and put it toward the Cast Iron Grate.

One man's opinion, of course.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Heck, sounds like you've got the full survival kit.
    The only thing I woulld add is the extended grate.
    DSCF0874.jpg

You're gonna' love it!!!!!
  • BigDawg35
    This is great! My wife loves the fact that I love to cook. I just caught her perusing the forums on her laptop looking for recipes she wants me to make this weekend. This really is an AWESOME anniversary present.