Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tri Tip Success

Bluecrab3Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited 2:12PM in EggHead Forum
Have never had a Tri Tip until becoming an egghead. Nice piece of meat. Here's how I did it. Started with some salt and pepper and brought to room temperature:

Egg078.jpg

Started a sear on the cast iron grate at 675°:
Egg081.jpg

90 Seconds per side twice for nice cross-sear:

Egg083.jpg

Pulled and foiled for 20 minutes and got the veggies going:
Egg083.jpg

Once the veggies were done, I roasted the tip with a sauce of BBQ, Italian dressing, hot sauce, worcestershire, and lemon juice. 400° and re-sauced every 10 minutes:
Egg086.jpg
Pulled at 132 degrees, foiled for 5 minutes, and....
Egg087.jpg

Happy eggin'. Great meal and leftovers were gone by lunch today!
·

Comments

• McEgginMcEggin Posts: 20
    I love tri-tip. Best tasting economical cut there is. Yours looks like it turned out very nice. I egged a couple tri-tip steaks for lunch today with a little bit of evo and DP's Raising the Steaks rub. Very tasty!
    ·
  • Nice job! Looks great..
    ·
  • jake42jake42 Posts: 931
    Lookin' good!!!!
    Nothin' does it better than cast iron.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Very novel way to do that and looks great!! I like the sause idea and grill marks are right there. Great cook. ;)
    ·
  • glousteauglousteau Posts: 124
    I've seen several tri-tips on here and they look good. AFAIK, I've never had one before, haha! What cut is it? What's it taste most like? Is it called tri-tip in the stores? I'm game to try anything once or twice, especially if it involves meat :)
    ·
  • Reminds me of my college days in Central California. :)
    ·
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    That looks great!

~ B
    :)
    ·
  • Bluecrab3Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    I believe it's the bottom part of the sirloin. If you do a search on the forum, you'll see that generally you can find it at Costco, where I did, or from a good butcher.
    ·
  • Very nice. When I do my Tri-Tip I pull it at 135. Slice thin lay in a Cast Iron pan and cover with Pepper Jack Cheese and put back in the egg for about 10-12 more min. Serve it over a toasted roll. MMMMMMMM.
    ·
  • McEgginMcEggin Posts: 20
    glousteau wrote:
    I've seen several tri-tips on here and they look good. AFAIK, I've never had one before, haha! What cut is it? What's it taste most like? Is it called tri-tip in the stores? I'm game to try anything once or twice, especially if it involves meat :)

glousteau,

I am originally from Cincinnati. I get back there occasionally to visit and grill tri-tips for my family. I always get them at Costco and I believe they go for about $5.99 lb. as of last summer. They read tri-tip roast on the package. As far as the taste, they have their own. All I can say is try it. They are very moist and flavorful.
    ·