Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Steamed Brats

Paul58
Paul58 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had some fresh Brats from the meat market and wanted to cook them tonight, but rather than boiling them in beer as is our normal way to prepare them, I thought I'd do them in the Egg! So, I used the Plate setter for an indirect heat, placed a drip pan filled with one beer directly on the plate setter under the grate so the beer would steam the brats, stabilized the temp at 350, and put on the brats. They turned out perfect! Total cook time was 30 minutes, turning a 1/3 turn every 10 minutes. Nice plump and juicy, not shriviled and dry like they used to turn out when we grilled them over direct heat on the old gas grill. I'm loven this BGE more every day!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Don't let that surprise ya. Just finished some beer brats from the butcher and did them direct. Not dry in the least bit. Warmed the kraut in a foil bowl :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm with you, and i think in the minority, that I like to grill my brats instead of boiling/steaming them.

They are good both ways - but I personally like mine grilled direct, then I place them in the cast iron skillet that has the sauteed peppers and onions.

Mmmmm...mmmmm...mmmmm
  • Paul58
    I guess I'm tainted by past experience (cooking over gas)! Next time I'll try them direct and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    We bought some fresh Publix brats last week and grilled them on the mini. The closest thing to a brat from the old country in a long time.
    I'll have to try and beer steam them next time.
    Jim
    JCinGA
  • Paul58
    JCinGA wrote:
    We bought some fresh Publix brats last week and grilled them on the mini. The closest thing to a brat from the old country in a long time.
    I'll have to try and beer steam them next time.
    Jim
    JCinGA

Jim,

Where in GA are you from? My wife found an awesome little butcher in Austell (West Atlanta suburb) thats's run by some Germans. They have awesome meats including a large selection of authentic Brats, Worsts, and other German specialties. It's called Patak Meats (patakmeats.com).
  • Fidel
    Patton's in Duluth also makes some terrific sausages. Their brats are among the best I've ever had.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Love the brats on the egg, and you can do them in advance and put them in a "Brat Tub", after grilling, with beer, peppers, onions, and a little butter to keep them warm for an hour or so (around 225*). Love the Brat Tub...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Rod you need to start making your own, the Hi Mountain seasoning kit makes as good a brat as I've ever tasted, and I do them with turkey now. -RP
  • Fidel
    30 pounds to go Randy...then I'm all over it.