Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any oyster shuckers going to Waldorf?

Options
Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was hoping to do some oysters during the fest but my oyster shucker (father-in-law) isn't going to be able to come with us. It takes me about 10 minutes to get one open. I can do a lot of things in life, but this ain't one of em. :) If anyone has the skills, please let me know. I can bring the equipment, just need the talent. This may depend on the price of the oysters but I'll work on that. Thanks. FG

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You could send me a plane ticket and I will do the shucking. hehe!
    Get some cotton or heavy rubber/pvc gloves,just make sure you can get a good grip on the oysters. I pair about $2.50 at Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200314412_200314412

a good shucker knife and toss the oysters on a hot fire. Makes the opening easier.

Appetizer, Oysterman's Bloody Mary Shooters, Richard Fl.

On a recent trip to Panama City, Fl., my friend and I were told about a greatseafood restaurant (Shuckums), known for oysters, while there enjoying the feast, Icommented to the bartender that the sauce was great and might be good on BBQribs and was wondering what was in it. She was not sure, but said that a coworkermight know and a few minutes later a man appeared who turned out to be one ofthe owners and had been there 25 years. After some friendly visiting he shared thiswith us.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 oz Shot Glass
    1 whole Oyster, cooked or raw
    Squirt of Cocktail Sauce (recipe follows)
    1/2 oz Favorite Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)
    Squeeze of Lemon Juice
    Shot of your favorite Vodka
    Cocktail Sauce :
    48 oz Ketchup
    4 oz Lemon Juice
    4 oz Louisiana Hot Sauce
    7 oz Red Wine Vinegar
    2/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 oz ground Black Pepper
    4 oz fresh ground Horseradish
    4 oz.Worcestershire Sauce

Procedure:
    1 Add all ingredients in the shot glass, then.........
    2 down the hatch, no chewing!!
    Cocktail Sauce :
    1 Mix all together.
    2 Makes a little over 1/2 gallon and will keep in the refrigerator 6 months plus.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Beverage

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe (Richard Fl)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Richard Fl
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    FamilyGuy - I happen to be bringing an experienced oyster shucker with me. He is used to sitting on the dock shuckin them and throwing the top shell in the bay. I can ask him if he would help you out - actually we had already talked about doing it ourselves, and doing char-grilled oysters - we just weren't sure where to buy them there, then having to bring all the tools, gloves, etc. on the plane, so we decided not to.
    How many and what are you going to do with them?? He might want to know that.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have never done that or want to try. But is 4 of them to many to eat at one time?

Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Hey Faith, it's good to know you have an oyster shucker. LOL!! Next time I'm in FL I'll stop by with some oysters and wine. :woohoo:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Anne - I pinged you earlier today about the Kentucky Derby.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Meat
    Options
    Grillin Girl, I planned on seasoning them and cooking on the half shell. My own special recipe of course. ;) I called a local joint and they are going to give me a price on a 100 count tomorrow. If they are too costly I might scrap the plan but I'm really looking forward to doing them. If he wants to help he can do 1 or all 100, and he will get the first one off the Egg. FG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    go in from the hinge side.... still can be a pain if you don't do it all the time

i find it much better to it there and watch a dude open them for me than to open the myself anyway.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    For reference, current price out of the Gulfe is $20/1/2 bushel. Which is 8-10 dozen depending on size.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Email or ping me tomorrow after you find out the price. I can't get in touch with him tonight - he is traveling but I will ask him ASAP.

Faith

• Meat
    Options
    Will do. Thanks.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I missed it Faith but I got your email. You've got mail.