Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex v. Felt Gasket

Options
Paul58
Paul58 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed the new Nomex Gasket last week, and I really like it. The Nomex is three times the thickness of the felt and really makes a tight seal between the top and bottom domes. It also seals tightly around the temperature probe cable as well. Not sure why they don't come from the factory like this, to me the Nomex is a far superior gasket material. Any one else have any experience with the Nomex Gasket?

Comments

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    An Egger and a walrus have a great deal in common. They're both lookin' for a tight seal.
  • 2cats
    2cats Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a sample of both a felt and "nomex" (it's not really nomex, is it? We just call it nomex) gaskets. They're both rather compressible and difficult to measure, but I get about 0.120" for the felt, and about 0.140 for the "nomex". About 17% thicker for the "nomex". I'm guessing that they're both nominally described as 0.125", or 1/8".
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    That was hilarious!!!!
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    2cats wrote:
    I have a sample of both a felt and "nomex" (it's not really nomex, is it? We just call it nomex) gaskets. They're both rather compressible and difficult to measure, but I get about 0.120" for the felt, and about 0.140 for the "nomex". About 17% thicker for the "nomex". I'm guessing that they're both nominally described as 0.125", or 1/8".

I wasn't quite that scientific... I took the old felt gasket, folded over till it was three layers thick and held it up next to the new (uncompressed) Nomex gasket and they were approximately the same thickness! But I can attest that it is pretty darn close to being walrus tight when the lid is closed!