Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Copper River Salmon

Options
SW
SW Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Due to some of the messages that have been posted here about Copper River Salmon I had to try some. Please, suggestions on cooking. Thanks. Will post pictures of results.

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    SW,
    Put on your favorite rub, about 1-2 hours before cooking. Get the Egg up to 325, put the filet on skin side down. After 8-10 minutes, paint it with Gretl's dijon-bourbon mix (see recipe section). Take off at internal remp of 150. I'm ready to do the same thing for tonight's dinner. Enjoy!

• SW
    SW Posts: 3
    Options
    Marvin,
    thanks for the help. I'll post the results.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    SW, I'm the guy who most recently has been espousing the virtues of Copper River Salmon. I've tried several rubs etc but keep going back to my favorite of favorites. The original was attributed to "CarDogs" and Jim Minion was kind enough to bring it to this board. Even cutting the recipe in thirds will leave you extra to have on hand! As you'll read it is a two stage process whereby you wash the first off and then use a finishing rub for the cook. Since this is in the archives you might want to go ahead and print it out. Trust me this is a great way to bring out the finest in that fine piece of salmon you just invested in!

[ul][li]CarDogs Salmon[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    RRP,
    The best thing about CR salmon, for those in the lower 48, is that its marketing causes it to make it to market quickly. Time is everything w salmon. Wait a few years, and you will see Yukon R. salmon. These fish are more fatty, more tasty than CR. Now, if you were to ask an Alaskan what is the best salmon; troll-caught white king (no, not caught by an elf). This genetic variant has white flesh and a taste I cannot describe. A once in a lifetime experience. If you ever see it on a menu in Seattle or elsewhere, don't hestitate.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Frozen Chosen, funny, but yesterday I caught a Bobby Fay show on the food channel and it was about the fish of your area. A grizzled old fish market guy said the same as you did that the troll caught king was the top of the top, best of the best. I doubt I'll ever see it here in the midwest, but maybe some day, some where I will!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.