Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket & Beef Ribs

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 14.5 lb brisket and 2 full racks of beef ribs ribs on the egg at 325 degrees. I have a couple questions. Is the temp too high and can anyone hazzard a guest as to the time it will take to cook the brisket to 185/190 degrees? Any feed back is appreciated.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I'm going to assume you are cooking indirect. You want to idle the temp down around 275°. The ribs will cook fine at 325°, but that's pushing the brisket. I'd do it with butts, but they are pretty much foolproof. Brisket is hard to predict timewise, but I'd plan on 1½ hours per pound.[p]Jim
  • BajaTom
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thanks for the advice. I lowered the temp to 270/275 and am now smoking away. I've never done beef ribs before so I'm hoping that they will not be greasy at that temp. I will just play with it a little bit. I'm doing babybacks on the 4th. I'm going to do 6 racks for the neighbors and myself. Have a great holiday weekend.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I'm not sure about cooktime and results at 325, but I'll tell you how we like to do ours. Cook both with a dome temp of around 240. I do the beef ribs similar to the babyback 3-2-1 method. Except I extend to 4-3-1, 4 hours indirect, 3hours in foil, 1 hour to firm and dry a little. This will cookout almost all the fat, which my wife has a stong distaste for. We prep with a rub over night. Watch the progress and adjust the heat or time accordingly. [p]As for the brisket, it's been awhile since I have smoked a 14 lb'er before. I would guess it would take me around 24 hours to smoke. That would require a full firebox and probably half the ring full of lump, i'm guessing. [p]With both beef items, the only way I know to get rid of the excess fat and still keep fall off the bone and fork tender is to bring it up slow and let it melt for a long time. [p]Let us know how it goes. Maybe if you wrap the brisket and sit in a cooler with towels for a couple of hours it will help melt the interior fat.[p]Good luck, sounds great.[p]SS

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BajaTom,
    If your ribs are "short ribs" (a lot of meat and fat on top of the bones), keep them there and cook just like the brisket to 200 deg. Enjoy!

• BajaTom
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    I'm struggling to control temp today. I think it's just I havn't done a slow and low for awhile. The ribs did just fine but the brisket is questionable. I'm now in to this for 8 hours and fighting temp control but I will prevail. Thanks for all the imput.