Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer-Butt Chicken

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Posting two messages back to back. But I'm not obsessed, just curious. I'm beer-butting some chickens tomorrow night. I've brined them and rubbed them according to directions on the archives. Do you cook them on a raised grid with the drip pan underneath or lower grid sitting in the pan with the beer can? Both chikens are about 4# a piece. Any estimates on time @ 350 or there abouts?
THANKS

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Leohat
    Leohat Posts: 6
    Dawgtired,
    I've never done one on an egg but on my crappy gas grill, I did them indirect (one burner on, other off, chicken over the off part) with the beer can sitting in a drip pan. Took about 2 to 2.5 hours. Rotate every so often to crisp skin. I have no idea what the temp was.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    LeoHat,[p]We've done them direct on the egg at around 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. No drip pan. But, I really like them spatchcocked better. Direct on a raised grid at the same 350° for about an hour, til the breast is 165° and the thigh is 180°'ish. Always incredible, reliable, juicy, and I think the biggest part of why I like them better is the ease of serving. With the beer butt ones, it looks great 'til you get it inside and then have to carve that hot little sucker! You still have to carve the spatchy one, but it's easier and doesn't seem to burn the hands as much and while it's a little less impressive a conversation piece to guests, it's still mighty pretty![p]The Naked Whiz has a great site on spatchcocked chicken. Here's the link.[p]Have fun!
    QBabe
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]TNW's Spatchcocked Chicken[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Dawgtired,[p]I do mine direct at 350° on the regular grate with no drip pan. Like Tonia, mine usually take about an hour and a half.[p]Jim
  • QBabe,[p]Question - how is it that that the breast and thighs are at different temps when they are cooking in the same heat?
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Mike in New England,
    I have often wondered this myself. The only explanation I can come up with is because breast is white meat and thighs are dark meat. The breast has less fat, so it would cook quicker....maybe??? Maybe not???[p]~nikki

• nikki,[p]It might cook faster, but the recommendations are to remove parts of the chicken at one temp, the other parts at a higher temp. I've seen similar recommendations in other posts/sites, but never quite understood it. I can't see how to do this, unless you're dealing with cut up poultry.[p]Not a big deal, it jsut reads strange. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. [p]"when it's done, it's done!"
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Mike in New England,[p]There are many scientific factors which could explain the difference in how fast parts of the chicken cook. I'll admit that I know none of them. I'll give you my theory anyway. The breast is pure meat all the way through. The thigh has a huge bone running through the middle of it. It is a readily accepted fact that bones transmit heat quicker than muscle/flesh. That would explain the thigh being hotter quicker. I guess if you left the bird on long enough, the whole thing would even out at a temp close to the oven/cooker temp. I'm not a food scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..........[p]Jim