Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quick, i need baked bean help

Options
Seth
Seth Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
there was a thread a few weeks back about baked beans. here is my deal... i just got delegated to bring beans tomorrow, but i will not have time to go all out, so i want to doctor up some bush's beans on the egg. any advice as to what to add, what temp, and for how long would be very helpful. have a great holiday all.
Seth

Comments

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    bbeans1.JPG
    <p />seth,
    Try dressing up those Bush beans with brown sugar, diced onions, and a TBS mustard. Lay strips of bacon on top, and bake in your egg at 300-325. This has always worked for me!
    -JodyMo

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    JodyMo,
    That looks great! do you add any smoke?
    Seth

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    ribsbeans2.JPG
    <p />seth,
    I have always cooked them along with something else, and smoked as usual. I have found that a little smoke goes a long way. I don't like to over do it. I will say that I had never used pecan chips until last weekend. I think they're wonderful. Different from the hickory or apple that I normally use. Definitely worth a try. I have also become addicted to using these disposable pans lately. I plan on posting some thoughts on that after I compile and upload another batch of photos. I should have a slew after this weekend.[p]Have a great 4th and good luck-
    JodyMo

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    seth,[p]I've done this upon occasion including just yesterday for lunch with the boys.[p]For what it's worth: Takes about 2 hours or so[p]For each large can (28 oz.) of Bush's original recipe beans, I add a generous splash of Q sauce, a medium chopped small onion, a shake or two or your favorite rub such as Dizzy all-purpose and just a few drops or Balsamic vinegar.
    If you have some left over pulled pork, chop it up and toss in.[p]I generally use an appropriately size Corning Ware casserole dish for small batches and a cast iron dutch oven for large.[p]Smoke indirect at dome 250° with hickory chunks for at least an hour, 90 minutes is better and stir every 20 minutes. This should bring the internal temp up to about 120° or so. Switch over to direct cooking at the same temp to quickly bring the internal up to about 190° Shut the Egg down and leave the beans on to stay hot until serving time.[p]If you have something elese to cook then, keep them warm in the oven.[p]K~G

• Unknown
    Options
    JodyMo,[p]The next time you cook them, put them on the lower grill.. That way, one the ribs, brisket or pork butt are rendering down, all the drippings go into the beans for flavor. You won't need the bacon on top either. Or you can save the trimmings from cooked pork butt in your freezer and add them to beans when you are cooking them...

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    seth,
    I hope you get this in time. This is easy and a sure fire hit. Get a large can of pork and beans (Brand name best). Hamburger meat, onion, olive oil, brown sugar and honey BBQ sauce. Trust me this will be a hit. Saute the onion in some olive oil until somewhat soft. Pour off the oil, add the hamburger and cook the hamburger until brown. Pour off the grease and pour off the juice from the top of the can of beans. Add the beans to the hamburger, add up to half the bag of brown sugar, and add bbq honeysauce to taste. If you're from the South they will sing your praises, if not then as my father would say,"It'll make their tongues slap their brains out".

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    seth,
    Forgot to mention in my previous post to simmer the beans after adding everything for about an hour.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan