Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Sausage Technique

Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all. I have some regular old supermarket Sweet Italian Sausages to cook tomorrow to start off the holiday weekend. Any suggestions for a good recipe/technique?[p]I'm hoping to pick up a few racks of spares on the way home tomorrow as well as perhaps a pork butt.[p]Let Freedom Ring,
Cornfed

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Cornfed,
    Check out the recipe for Jobu's sausage and peppers in the New Recipe section. [p]~nikki

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    nikkig,[p]I was just going to suggest that recipe.
    You cannot go wrong with their method....... Fantastico![p]WD

[ul][li]The Jobu's Fantastico [/ul]
  • Cornfed
    WooDoggies,[p]I do love the Jobu recipe/technique. I ate 3 or 4 of those a few Eggfests back before starting a fire in my mouth with some of Jobu's pure Habanero extract wings. After that, it was all beer...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    july0004.jpg
    <p />Cornfed,[p]Talk about starting a fire...... did you get a swig of Jobu's homemade hooch firewater Brooklyn moonshine? That stuff was amazing.[p]Well, I responded to your post elsewhere to find that thread had been extracted from the space/time continuum..... so why not continue here....... it's allgood.[p]What have I been cooking? Two 3 pound chuck roasts direct at 240 with a couple of Smokin' Todd cherry chunks since 6:00 this evening. I will pull off soon, cool, throw in a cooler and drive to North Carolina tomorrow and finish off by braising ontop my Mom's stove with a little bbq sauce and beer. When done they will be shredded and piled ontop white bread buns......... it's not true bbq but my family will love it nonetheless.[p]I wish you well on your rib quest and team name....... might you decide to tell us the 2 you've narrowed down, we could help you decide. :~)[p]Happy and safe 4th to y'all.[p]John[p]
  • Cornfed
    WooDoggies,[p]It's too bad that one of my rare BBQ related posts was deleted![p]I think my next attempt at ribs are going to follow the John Willingham style from the book I just bought. Nothing fancy at all, and not much difference from what I've been doing. Really the only differences are I'll make sure to marinade for the at least 12 hours he suggests with a vinegary marinade to "open the pores" and allow the rub to supposedly sink in. I've heard debates over the degree of flavor penetration of marinades where many say it doesn't make much difference, and as a result I haven't been doing the long marinade thing lately. I'm looking for subtle improvements, though, so I'll set these up this evening for a cook tomorrow morning. Also, his recipe calls for turning every 15 minutes if you don't have a rotisserie. I'll probably compromise on this a little and flip/rotate every half hour. I'll probably avoid foil for this attempt to minimize the amounts of variables I'm changing. Also, I'm going to sauce one of the slabs immediately after removing from the grill but before cutting while leaving the other one dry to get the opinion from my guests as to what they prefer.[p]All in the name of science,
    Cornfed

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Cornfed,[p]Been a long time since I have posted, but sausage is a family tradition in my house.[p]Italian sausage is a course grind sausage, versus bratwurst or polish sausage which are fine grinds, Anduille is a combination of finewith little chunks of pork mixed in.[p]The key to good Italian suasage is the spice mixture and mixing it very well.[p]Authentic Italian sausage is very simple: Pork, beef (optional), salt, fennel, parsley, crushed red pepper, black pepper and water. Fat content is important because if you don't use enough, the sausage is to dry and less flavorful.[p]I use a kitchen aid with the coarse grind. You can also use a suasgae stuffing attachment, but it takes too long for me. I use a 15lb stuffer and it dramatically reduces the time to stuff the casings. I usually make 24lb batches and vaccum pack ropes or links.[p]If you like grilled sausage, the egg is the best way to do it.[p]-Tom Fricano
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Cornfed,
    I haven't seen anyone post a response about
    chicken jalapeno sausage, they are really easy to make and
    on the BGE slightly smoked will tear your heart up !!! :)