Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a recipe for corn on the cob!

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was going to try corn on the cob on the Egg today as a side for the spatchcocked chicken. Need time and temp if anyone on here knows (and I know someone on here knows :) ). Will let you know how it turns out this evening. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Leave the husk on, pull out the silk, soak in water, go direct at about 350ish. Some don't soak em, just a matter of preference. Should take around 45 minutes or so. Don't worry if the husk starts to burn. Smells great when you open the Egg. I've seen where butter and seasonings are applied under the husk before cooking. We've done two batches in the last few days. Good luck. FG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    When I do corn on the Egg I just put it on without shucking, soaking, or anything else. If you do it indirect give it 40 minutes at 350, if direct you need to turn them every 10 minutes or so. You'll find the silk just falls away when you do it this way. -RP
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Yup, thats how I do it. Then the husk makes a nice handle.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Do you soak after you pull the silk off? How long do you soak and do you put butter salt and pepper on before you cover back up with the husk. Is that 350 direct?
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    We soak after pulling off the husk. I think it lets some water down under the husk to kinda steam it while it's cooking. We season after the cook, but I think you pull the husk back, butter, salt and pepper, pull the husk back up then 350 direct turning about every ten minutes. FG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i do it the way azrp and ripnem
    throw them on [i do direct at 350] turn as instructed ..no soaking before or after. shucks clean after cooking silk does not effect taste butter salt and pepper and eat.. i have tried both ways and find the soaking does not add any value
    bill
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Not if it's fresh...I only have about 3-4 months till the sweetest corn on the globe is ready. Although I could buy some "Feed" corn that is shipped up from, um, ah, well, down south someplace. It just can't take the place of the real deal. Sorry but the upper midwest produces sweet corn that will make your head spin.

True story
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I found it impossible to get the husks back in place and the corn dries out more without the husks to seal in the moisture. It is also a lot less work to just toss them on the way you bought them. -RP
  • I agree with Randy just throw them on

Ross
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I was a soak with husk on kinda guy for more than 20 years. Then I tried this. It is going to sound weird but once you try it, you will go beserk for it!
    1. Remove husk and silk
    2. light coating of EVOO
    3. salt and pepper the corn
    4. place on a hot direct grill, dome open.
    5. Flip when the kernels just Sstart to get some color. You are bring out the natural sugars in the corn.
    6. Keep rotating, this should take about 10 minutes tops.
    7. brush on a light coat of mayo. ( yes I said Mayo)
    8. Spinkle chili powder over corn.
    9. grade some fresh parmesean cheese over the corn.
    10. Eat!

This is an old mexican street vendor recipe and I learned this from one of Steven Raichlen books.

We did an adaptation of this recipe with Chipoltle Cilantro butter and cheese.
    DSC00600.jpg

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I do mine similar to Bubba Tim, using a Paula Deen recipe.
    Husk them, brush mayo on them. Sprinkle with S & P, and parmesan cheese. Wrap in tinfoil and roast for about an hour.
    I promise no one can detect the mayo, and everyone will love it.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    My absolute favorite way to do corn on the cob. I prefer the cheese first, but hey, who cares.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I knew I like you....lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I go very similar, but have never heard of mayo. I trust this is a light coating of Hellmans not Miracle Whip?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    There is a technique: pull down 1/3 of the husk about 2/3 of the way down, pull the silk out, then do the next third. I have the best luck doing it this way. I, too, love the Midwest corn on the cob on the grill....ummmmm..