Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Smaller Boneless Butts-- cooking time?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to cook two 3.5 pound boneless butts for pulled pork on the 4th of July-- the store did not have any bone in larger butts. All of the butts I have cooked in the past were bone in and at least 7 pounds-- any thoughts on cooking times? The butts are currently in the fridge covered in mustard and JJ's rub. I want to eat around 5:00, and I am worried that I will put them on too soon as the larger butts take from 20 to 24 hours in my experience. Let me know what you think--

Comments

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Moke,
    We did the exact butt lb for lb as you are. To reach an internal temp of 200 degrees I would put them on no later than 7 or 8am. We started ours at 9:45 and never reached 200. We ate at 5:30 and our internal temp was 185. Look at the posts from last Sat. We had a lot of suggestions. Even though it didn't reach 200 it was the best tasting pork I've ever had. I am actually thinking about making another for a pool party Sat. since the rain is out and the heat is on. Good luck it will be great.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Moke,[p]Not to worry if they cook too soon. Just preheat a cooler with a pot of boiling water. Wrap the butts in foil and then towels. Place in cooler and fill remaining space with crumpled newspaper. That meat will stay hot for hours. Have a great 4th!!! Mac